SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

3MTA3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fonts don't look the same on different browsers/platforms

On a site I'm working on, the font used in one section of the site does not look the same across all the browsers we're testing in (IE7-win, FF-win, Safari-mac, FF-mac).

The font being used is Verdana.
    The font size is .7 em.

Is there a way to have the font display the same across all browsers without using images?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, not much of a chance, see http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html (thanks to Tailslide who posted this link just a few hours ago in another, similar thread).
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

3MTA3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The font is Verdana so that should normally be on both Win & Mac computers. The difference I am seeing is something much greater than the slightly more heavier font weight that Mac uses for it. The font looks anorexic on the Mac.

When I increase the size of the text size in the browser on the Mac, it looks fine. However, if I go back to the default text size in the browser, it looks anorexic again. I've used Verdana for other styles with larger font size settings and it looks fine.

Are there any Mac specific issues I need to account for with cascading font sizes - especially when using smaller font ratios such as .7 em?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, .7em is relative, as long as you don't tell us the calculated font-size we don't know it's actual size, it could be 12px or it could be 7px. It could also be something like 11.2px and I've seen browsers render these very ugly.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant