SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 41 of 41
  1. #26
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdprgm View Post
    The very first thing I noticed is that your background picture isn't large enough! I am on a 1920 by 1600 resolution and can see the edges. At least make it scale bigger.

    I think you could balance your logo and title a bit better. I feel like "a life in pictures" should be moved to the right a bit.

    Last thing is the font on the contact form is honestly to small to read. Just make it like 1px taller. Good site overall!
    Yep agreed with that fella, it was a toss up between images that covered the largest resolutions or images that worked for the mass market (and much smaller file size) so I opted for the latter. I shall look at the font size when I revisit the site

    Quote Originally Posted by Musicbox View Post
    very nice website
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnata View Post
    Nice work, I really like it - those changing photos, no spare information, beautiful design.
    Cheers guys

    Thanks to every one who has helped on this thread, all you input has been valid and very useful. I guess that this website/thread just goes to show the even on a 4 hour design and build, 5% of you time is used in the first instance to create a working version. Then another 95% spent finishing it, amending things that have been brought to light by further testing.

    Si

  2. #27
    SitePoint Member kcire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile

    Looks very nice for just an afternoon of work!
    Erick Schluter
    Amsterdam . Netherlands
    Linkage, a nice websites portal

  3. #28
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is my issues with your site. When I click on the thumbneil on the last row, i need to scroll up to see the image, then to scroll back down to click on the next thumbneil. This is a UI design issue that you need to fix IMO.

    BTW, what's your technique of making sharp images of moving kids. I can never get mine to stand still...lol...almost always blurry image as the result.
    godaycare.com - Canadian daycare listings with reviews
    Parenting and Child care Forum - Canadian child care forum

  4. #29
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kcire View Post
    Looks very nice for just an afternoon of work!
    Cheers, but as I said before there has been more work based upon recommendations from here than there was to produce the first build.

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraDC View Post
    here is my issues with your site. When I click on the thumbneil on the last row, i need to scroll up to see the image, then to scroll back down to click on the next thumbneil. This is a UI design issue that you need to fix IMO.

    BTW, what's your technique of making sharp images of moving kids. I can never get mine to stand still...lol...almost always blurry image as the result.
    Thats a good point and something that I'll sort. With regards to the photos I have no idea, its my brothers work.

    Cheers,
    Si

  5. #30
    SitePoint Enthusiast ydesignsx™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really liked the overall aesthetics of this site's design. In my novice opinion, the web designer is pretty talented. The vision comes across very well and the presentation is very good especially for a one pager.

    I don't know if it was you or the site owner who did this but "Hi I'm Toby" and "Hello and welcome..." is redundant. Do you often say hello twice when greeting someone? I really liked the "Hello and welcome... wait, hold that pose!" so keep that. I suggest losing the "Hi I'm Toby". When visiting this page I already know that this site is Toby Robert's or about Toby Roberts after all I just clicked on the http://www.toby-roberts.co.uk/ url. Also, there is a nice logo with your name which again tells me that this is Toby Robert's site. The reiterations are unnecessary.

  6. #31
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ydesignsx™ View Post
    I really liked the overall aesthetics of this site's design. In my novice opinion, the web designer is pretty talented. The vision comes across very well and the presentation is very good especially for a one pager.

    I don't know if it was you or the site owner who did this but "Hi I'm Toby" and "Hello and welcome..." is redundant. Do you often say hello twice when greeting someone? I really liked the "Hello and welcome... wait, hold that pose!" so keep that. I suggest losing the "Hi I'm Toby". When visiting this page I already know that this site is Toby Robert's or about Toby Roberts after all I just clicked on the http://www.toby-roberts.co.uk/ url. Also, there is a nice logo with your name which again tells me that this is Toby Robert's site. The reiterations are unnecessary.
    Thanks for the comments, I shall have a look at the copy on the website, although at the minute he is very happy with the tone.

    Si

  7. #32
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man this is a very nice design! Clean and very attractive! My only suggestion is that you extend the width of the login box so that the right edge lines up with the right edge of your header.

    Regards,
    Chris

  8. #33
    SitePoint Member Susanwang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a cool site, I like it.
    Create transactions & Earn Reputation: http://www.vbuddy.com/

  9. #34
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crhayes View Post
    Man this is a very nice design! Clean and very attractive! My only suggestion is that you extend the width of the login box so that the right edge lines up with the right edge of your header.

    Regards,
    Chris
    Interesting one, as the actual containing box for the form does line-up with the header box. If I made the form items line-up with the header box they would have no spacing on the right hand edge or the design would have no solid right drop line.

    Si

  10. #35
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up

    I like it
    Though I think the HI I'M TOBY is not so great, it does not sound very professional.

  11. #36
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked that site, well designed.
    ___________________
    || Build Backlinks here|| ||

  12. #37
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    My Review

    I actually like this design. its inviting, friendly, easy and uncluttered. The use of the photo slide show is great and I found myself enjoying the pictures. I like that the photo where big.

    The call to action button (send) in orange was very visibile. The only thing that you might give consideration is the smaller thumbnails. They did not seem necessary when the images are displayed in the rotating slideshow. Yes its neat but really does not serve any purpose.

    However, overall I would say it was done well. Good job.




    Quote Originally Posted by si@ld View Post
    Hi guy,

    I have helped my brother out after months, if not years of asking me to do him a small website that he can then use as mini portfolio. So I finally spent an afternoon and cobbled something together.

    The site is built upon the MooTools frame which I find enjoyable, it will change theme/style at four key points during the day or if the user selects to change it. There is also an admin section allowing upload of images (once I set it live).

    I just like to know your thoughts and your findings should you encounter any errors. While any improvements recommendations would be brilliant. It would also be interesting to what operating OS and browser you have viewed the website on.

    Website: http://www.toby-roberts.co.uk

    Thanks,
    Si

  13. #38
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoogaTV View Post
    I actually like this design. its inviting, friendly, easy and uncluttered. The use of the photo slide show is great and I found myself enjoying the pictures. I like that the photo where big.

    The call to action button (send) in orange was very visibile. The only thing that you might give consideration is the smaller thumbnails. They did not seem necessary when the images are displayed in the rotating slideshow. Yes its neat but really does not serve any purpose.

    However, overall I would say it was done well. Good job.
    Thanks, I think that I am finally happy with the page, after implementing about 85-90% of the recommendations from SitePoint users

    Si

  14. #39
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love your design.
    Also the way the pics change rocks!
    Keep it up!

  15. #40
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks a lot

  16. #41
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this website, looks fantastic. Do you really have to place a picture of yourself in the banner? You have some amazing pictures there.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •