SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Need help with fonts!

hey all,
    i m working on a website www.virtelligence.com , the guy who made this website did a lousy job by slicing all website. now i have converted it all to html/css(www.ammardesigns.com/V/index.html) but the guy want 100% same font as on original website(www.virtelligence.com) i m using the same on that website which is vandara 9 size. can anyone tell me how can i achieve that font which is used in slicing?

SitePoint Zealot D.D.S. Polymath's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ammark View Post
    hey all,
    i m working on a website www.virtelligence.com , the guy who made this website did a lousy job by slicing all website. now i have converted it all to html/css(www.ammardesigns.com/V/index.html) but the guy want 100% same font as on original website(www.virtelligence.com) i m using the same on that website which is vandara 9 size. can anyone tell me how can i achieve that font which is used in slicing?
    I dare say you had Candara in mind. By 'how can i achieve that font' I suppose you meant to ask if it were available to download for free. Could you please make things a little bit clearer?
    Be not too sure that none of the old magic endures...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

no wht i meant was if u see the old website www.virtelligence.com and new one www.ammardesigns.com/V/index.html there is difference in feel n look of font. can i achieve 100% font like www.virtelligence.com or is it coz its pixels?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply you can't. Both seem to be using the same font-type: Verdana.

In the old one, however, the font is rendered by the image software with anti-alias on, in the new one the font is rendered by the browser. Even different browsers might display it differently (try Safari for Windows for example).

In the old one, I have difficulties to read anything because the font-size is too small, and there's no chance I can change this.

There are many more disadvantages when it comes to the old one, like it's bad for accessibility and search engines aren't able to read the text in the image.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thnxs c2uk. i been trying to explain my boss this for 1 month he isn't convinced. says i m too lousy or little knowledge for this job. my fate depends on a font.haha

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

¬.¬ shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Side note the flash navigation is god awful.

First, every change of the page it does a stupid animation which keeps me from jumping to page to page quickly.

It is not accessible. If I don't have flash there is no way to move around.

You are using Javascript to detect if there is flash or load it whatever then in turn in noscript tags you embed it, no that is backwards. Instead you should replace elements on the page if the users browser has flash.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering, would it be possible to create the image exactly like your boss wants using your graphics program so it will appear exactly like he wants it to visually and then underneath those images put the text/content so that the search engines will pick it up? Just a thought, why or why wouldn't this work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you can add an alt text to your image but whether you really should include all that text in the alt text, which is there for a short description of an image, I don't know. You also have the longdesc where you refer to another document (text) when you need a longer description of the image, but I've got now experience on whether search engines pick this up.

Also, you don't have the possibility to add extra significance to certain text parts, like using h1 and strong provides.

You boss just needs to understand that web design is not the same as designing for print.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, you guys are good at this, i sure learn something from here