Thread: structure

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

structure

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to layout this template. I have understanding on css (divs..adding images, content) but I have trouble making the structure for it. The layout can be found here:

http://absolute-studios.com/temp_layout_2.JPG

any suggestions/samples to layout this out will be greatly appreciated it.

Regards,

Johan

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Johan,

I'd do the same thing I do for pretty much every other Web site. An actual image for the header, followed by the menu, content, and footer. The page heading will require the use of an image substitution technique (Gilder/Levin should do the trick), but other than that, it appears to be pretty much standard issue - especially since this appears to be a fixed width layout. I'd serve the graphic under the menu as a background image (since it's purely presentational in nature) and place it in the header, and use a negative margin to ride the menu up into position (while floating it to the right).

You may have to go with an image substitution technique for the menu as well if you really NEED the font used in your menu. (You should also add a submit button to the subscription form.) Other than that, the only thing I see being an issue would be the inner rounded border on the main content area. Are you going to be using any sidebars by any chance?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dan,

Thank you for the help....I'm not sure what you mean by sidebars and probably this is too much to ask but is it possible to see a sample for the structure (basic)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A sidebar is basically a side column. Unfortunately I'm about to log off for the weekend (my mother was hospitalized on Sunday with cardiac and respiratory problems), so I can't whip something up for you at the moment. But the example for the menu can be done - if you're willing to put up with the craziness I used for the demo I made for Ethics a little while back:

http://www.dan-schulz.com/for-others.../template.html

The folder's unlocked, so you can grab the CSS file any time you want.
    http://www.dan-schulz.com/for-others/ethics/

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan thank you so much for the help...truly appreciated...I hope you're mother gets better my best wishes for her....I'll look at the sample and work from there.

Thanks again....

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it looks like I may be back home tomorrow - if that's the case, I'll see what I can do once I have access to my evil workshop of horrors back.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan I hope you're mother is doing better. I was able to set up the layout correctly with your initial assistance. By the way that evil workshop of horrors sounds mighty fun to work with

Cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, cool. And yes, I am home again - with a fresh copy of WordPress 2.5, a new personal project to start, and a browser update.