SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The beauty of Firefox and Opera is that you can get the latest versions and their updates even if you're on win 98 or 2000, since that's my case that means IE 7 and upward is out and now Safari.

Safari only runs on XP and Vista

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asprookie View Post
    The beauty of Firefox and Opera is that you can get the latest versions and their updates even if you're on win 98 or 2000, since that's my case that means IE 7 and upward is out and now Safari.

Safari didn't even exist until 2002 and it was mac-only for 5 years after that. you're asking a lot of it if you want it to work on windows 98. Hell, you're asking a lot of any modern browser if you want it to work on a 10 year old OS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy I sure hope it doesn't. Safari produces the weirdest bugs when doing QA for development. Bugs that don't make sense and no other browser even comes close to displaying.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asprookie View Post

Wrong. The latest beta versions of all the major browsers require Windows XP as their minimum version of Windows. Remember that Safari 3 for Windows is still in beta. Opera 9.5 beta and Firefox 3 beta have the same minimum requirement. If you want to run Windows 2000 or earlier Windows operating systems then you will soon be unable to run the latest version of any popular browser.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DelvarWorld View Post
    Boy I sure hope it doesn't. Safari produces the weirdest bugs when doing QA for development. Bugs that don't make sense and no other browser even comes close to displaying.

Safari has about a 2.5% market share. That means that there are too many people using it to ignore that browser for development regardless of whether it becomes popular on Windows or not.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apple is very popular, i say yes.

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at Best Buy today. They had a table with all the Mac Books, including Air. Very, very cool indeed. I weally, weally want one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's more meant for developers? I can't imagine using it for surfing, it just looks like it doesn't belong on my windows computer, it feel wrong.
    I also wouldn't consider using firefox for browsing because its way too slow but thats another story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
    I was at Best Buy today. They had a table with all the Mac Books, including Air. Very, very cool indeed. I weally, weally want one.

Security experts advise to not use IE
    Your signature is outdated You should now change it to
    firefox way behind on web standards!
    ie8 passes acid2!
    firefox does not adhere web standards!
    Firefox is a cancer on the web!
    Ban firefox!
    or something..

Or is firefox 3 stable release going to be acid2 compliant? It better be or those firefox-fanboy web standards proponents are going to look pretty silly.

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't read most of the posts (only up to the first 5 I think), but I do need to point out that, last I checked, Windows Safari rendered slightly differently from Mac Safari. However, I haven't had time to check based on the latest release. (I own both a Mac and a PC, which explains how I know).

Re: Latest Windows release > They have (I think) cured the font issue. The past builds would crash if you had over a few thousand fonts, which is what most designers had. So far, the new build no longer crashes, but my font list is also just <2500 (down from 5k), so it may be one or the other.

On topic: I pray that Safari takes off on Windows. All Standard Compliant browsers should.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using Safari with My Mac and don't want to go for Firefox. At the same time I tried to install Safari on my Windows powered PC and the instalation didn't run at all... so I left it.
    HostColor.com
    Colocation | Dedicated Servers | VPS Hosting
    Web hosting provider since 2000

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i gave up on safari on windows

heres why:
    *the UI is retarded and confusing
    *why oh why are all fonts BOLD
    *keeps crashing
    *keeps freezing half way thru' loading a page sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by peach View Post
    ie8 passes acid2!
    Ban firefox!
    or something..

Or is firefox 3 stable release going to be acid2 compliant? It better be or those firefox-fanboy web standards proponents are going to look pretty silly.
    look thru his past posts this fella makes fundamentalists nuts look good, he will never admit that firefox (now with added google spyware) is less than perfection itself (kinda sad)

so far the only browser i can praise is Opera, im disappointed with firefox, it went from lean and fast to slow and fat

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can this be used for testing websites to see how they would look on the Safari on Mac? Or the rendering is very different?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will it catch on? Well it will be downloaded a lot if that counts upon booting up iTunes it asked me if I needed the lastest update, low and behold I now have Safari So there is no doubt that many will have it installed if they like it or not. I tried it as it was there, then closed it down... the UI just does not work on a windows machine. Its like they are trying to bring the Mac coolness with it

Si

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    Remember that Safari 3 for Windows is still in beta.
    No it isn't, 3.1's been out for a couple of weeks now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it will catch on. I've been a hardcore Safari user for probably 5 years, mainly because I'm a Mac user, but I installed it on my parents PC and they have been using it for quite a while now and think the whole font smoothing is very nice touch.

But yes, like iTunes, I think Safari will have the same knock on effect as that did.

Safari for me just renders sites better and I rarely see any bugs, where as right now on my parents PC using IE7 & 8 I can see at least 2 <div> align problems on a site I just coded, where as Safari shows it to be fine.

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Hardcore Safari user" is an oxymoron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peach View Post
    First, I don't say anything about Firefox in my sig but anyone who thinks Firefox is way behind standards, is way behind in his learning.
    ie8 passes acid2!
    On an internal, modified test, though I didn't look to see if IE8 beta passes. I was told the release version won't.
    Ban firefox!
    or something..
    You have a lot of learning to do.

My sig links are current and up to date except one which is an older article, but the quote still stands.

Always A Novice bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Personally I just view it as yet another browser to worry about. and of course it is already causing me problems as it does not render some elements the same as the other major browsers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please show us this web site. While it is possible, and I've had an issue or two, generally I have no problems and Safari is as good as the rest of them.

Always A Novice bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    kylewolfe.com, the nav bar is 1-2 pixels shy in height. Was trying to find a workaround today.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    kylewolfe.com looks exactly the same to me in Safari 3.1 and Firefox 3 beta.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If they end up changing things on Safari for Windows so it looks (renders, font-wise) like Windows, then it loses its appeal to me as a web builder. I was simply not testing for Macs until this came along (and Konqueror I have found is just not an accurate measure of Safari, same rendering engine or not), meaning my sites users are getting a better browsing experience (there are times where only Safari raised a hissy fit over new code, back to the validator, and hey, there's a missing tag which Opera and FF and of course IE completely covered up!). Plus I need to know how much pink-feather-boa Safari's gonna add to my forms. The submit buttons look like freakin candy or something.

That and whiteheat has posted some images with text inside where Safari's font rendering was the only way to make the text truly readable, where any browser for Windows made the letters so thin and broken you could not read it.
    Sure, it can go the other way (everything looks bold and fuzzy) too, but again, I don't want them fixing this, because I don't surf in Safari, I test in Safari, and average folks are likely only going to switch in large numbers to Safari if
    -it ends up with some sort of advantage for average users
    -the average user is a former Mac user and likes the familiarity of Safari
    -for some reason the Windows user doesn't want IE, FF, or Opera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
    First, I don't say anything about Firefox in my sig but anyone who thinks Firefox is way behind standards, is way behind in his learning.
    On an internal, modified test, though I didn't look to see if IE8 beta passes. I was told the release version won't.
    You have a lot of learning to do.

My sig links are current and up to date except one which is an older article, but the quote still stands.
    hehe, I knew you were going to get me at those lines.
    They were just intended to indicate that Im not a fan of the extremist anti-microsoft taglines, especially now that they are showing some great progress.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without plugins like FF I don't think it will be more than a niche browser on Windows.
    Apple Mac HQ - Apple/Mac News, Reviews, and More