User Tag List

Thread: Growing a blog

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Growing a blog

I started my blog on the 22nd of this month.

When I started it I said I would do it for a year and see where I am at that stage, and that's what I plan to do, give the blog the time to get lots of content and for the search engines to fully index and rank it.

So far of course hits are minimal, I have started posting comments on other tv and film blogs and hopefully in time can build up some 'relationships' on those sites.

But I am struggling to think how else I will get hits, other then Google but that takes time, I won't expect much from them for about 6 months.

It seems like it will be a long and tedious affair, I have confidence in my articles being interesting (hopefully), but I wonder whether it will all be worth it, although I keep saying all it takes is one article to take off, get good backlinks, get good hits etc and everything can change.

Apart from socal networking what other good ways is there to generate interest?

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about finding some important people that will do a guest article for you?
    That way they might mention it to others, and also check back to see if anyone commented.

SitePoint Enthusiast MarketLeverage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask bloggers that have blogs of similar topics to exchange links with you or ask them to add your blog to their "blogroll".

Add Entrecard to your blog.
    Write articles on your topic and submit them to EzineArticles.com
    Add your site to Stumbleupon
    Create a Squidoo page
    Submit a press release to PrWeb
    MLTV - MarketLeverage's Online Affiliate Marketing Show
    GreenLinks - Watch GreenLinks- Affiliate Tutorial Videos!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way to get an entertainment site going is to score an interview with some so everyone comes to your blog to read it, then, if your content is good, many will stay. But it's not an overnight process. It takes time and you gotta love it.

I must say though I hit your TV blog and when I clicked the categories to see your posts I got an error. People hit that and they won't come back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can also use digg, stumbles etc, then get some links in related blogs and also try submitting your RSS Feeds to RSS Feed Submission Sites.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do articles that's interesting and submit it to article submissions and ezine sites or much better, engage in article exchanges

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have a competition. I have also seen good traffic from link referral.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynthiab View Post
    The best way to get an entertainment site going is to score an interview with some so everyone comes to your blog to read it, then, if your content is good, many will stay. But it's not an overnight process. It takes time and you gotta love it.

I must say though I hit your TV blog and when I clicked the categories to see your posts I got an error. People hit that and they won't come back.
    Sorry but I'm not getting any error and I just asked several other people?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blogging is personal

Your blog is quite personal. It is made up of your thoughts and views on TV and film. But there is not much info about you on the About page. Consider adding a photo and more about yourself - male/female, age, interests and your credentials. Do you work in the film/tv industry or are you an avid film/tv junkie? Help visitors get to know you. By understanding you more, they will be able to relate more to you and are more likely to subscribe to your RSS feed.

SitePoint Zealot phppoddotcom77's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post some comments in other blogs related to the TV industry.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Monkey View Post
    Your blog is quite personal. It is made up of your thoughts and views on TV and film. But there is not much info about you on the About page. Consider adding a photo and more about yourself - male/female, age, interests and your credentials. Do you work in the film/tv industry or are you an avid film/tv junkie? Help visitors get to know you. By understanding you more, they will be able to relate more to you and are more likely to subscribe to your RSS feed.
    Better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennywise View Post
    Better?
    Yes, much better!

SitePoint Zealot seoindiacompany's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i will suggest you to do some keyword research and then start writing on those keywords , then start link building process and try to get as many inbound links as you can get

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Content first, then link building. No point in getting people to a site when there is nothing there to see. ;o)

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did what I think is a good article yesterday, took me over the course of 3 days to write, my problem is getting it out there and noticed.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Growing a blog requires patience as well.
    Killer Logo Design --> www.logosamurai.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    social networking is huge for blogs.. A lot of people are just looking to read things like-minded people say. We all want our perspectives validated, keep pushing those social networks (myspace and facebook especially) and you will find growth as your blog grows in size

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog competition is getting heavy! Unless you are willing to give blood, sweat, and tears - you may ant to reconsider.

- Dennis Fister
    Check out my home page at the Home Page of Dennis Fister and my
    friend's site at the Home Page of Jose Cisneros

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice would be to hire some high schoolers to do some after school work for you writing for the blog.

- Dennis Fister
    Check out my home page at the Home Page of Dennis Fister and my
    friend's site at the Home Page of Jose Cisneros

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow My own thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywise View Post
    I started my blog on the 22nd of this month.

When I started it I said I would do it for a year and see where I am at that stage, and that's what I plan to do, give the blog the time to get lots of content and for the search engines to fully index and rank it.

So far of course hits are minimal, I have started posting comments on other tv and film blogs and hopefully in time can build up some 'relationships' on those sites.

But I am struggling to think how else I will get hits, other then Google but that takes time, I won't expect much from them for about 6 months.

It seems like it will be a long and tedious affair, I have confidence in my articles being interesting (hopefully), but I wonder whether it will all be worth it, although I keep saying all it takes is one article to take off, get good back-links, get good hits etc and everything can change.

Apart from social networking what other good ways is there to generate interest?

Here's what I saw and experienced growing my own personal blog. I set specific goals for growth and then tried to find ways to meet them. What were they? They were modest goals; here are the first five months and how it went. Keep in mind I started at zero visitors to make sense of the increase/goal strategy.
    HTML Code:
     MILESTONE           TRAFFIC, IN VISITORS
    END OF MONTH     INCREASE    GOAL        ACTUAL    
    December        1000         1,000         1,251        
    January         2000         3,000         3,704
    February        3000         6,000         7,993
    March           4000        10,000        12,219
    April           5000        15,000        15,835
    I started with zero visitors and wanted to increase it by 1000 the first month. Then tack on an additional 1000 and increase by that many again the second month and so on. I started on the 12th of the month in December and wrote 14 posts the remaining part of that month.

The next three months, I wrote 45 or more posts each month. April I went down to 15 as I signed on a project to market a film. You can see how the growth slowed in response. I probably should have exceeded my April goal by about 3-4,000 but time was scarce.

It wasn't hard to do and I wasn't using photos or videos in my posts either (I began adding them many months later to compare growth rates). It is a personal blog for fun, no advertising, and no niche...just whatever the heck I feel like blogging about. Yesterday I had 847 visitors. It isn't exactly earth shaking and whatnot, and the average is probably more like 200-250 per day. It's who those visitors are and who they know that matters to me, however.

Watching stats and trying different strategies is easy enough and 'metrics' aren't really that esoteric nor scary. You can create your own once you figure out what it is you should know and want to know. I came to the following conclusions:

1. My blog grows fastest when there are 3 new posts per day. You can't always do this, even if blogging full time. Some posts take days to write, some minutes. Sometimes life intrudes, work calls, and friends want to get together. Even if blogging is part and parcel to your career or what you do, three quality posts a day is not always easy unless it's just "hey, check out this article (or site)" and throwing a link in the post. If you're serious about your blog, one post per day ought to be a reasonable goal. Less than that and it takes much longer to get traffic rolling.

2. Visitors are higher when I use teasers and only partial posts in RSS feeds. More people must come to the site to read, that's what I wanted. People are more likely to browse around and join the conversation on my blog than if they're reading entire articles in their RSS reader. Besides, partial feeds means content scrapers don't get to steal my entire piece and it makes their plagiarism and theft look more obvious. I noticed that for the same number of subscribers, page views went up when I went to partial feeds and RSS subscriptions did not decrease but tended to increase. Make sure your teasers actually tease a bit!

3. Traffic is steadier and increases faster when post are of varied length. I tried to balance posts so that I had a short paragraph or two type post, a medium length post, and then a rather lengthy post. While I know people are hyperactive these days, the most read and visited posts were my lengthier ones. This was important for me to notice as I have a tendency to write and write and write...sometimes on the verge of rambling. Discipline and a strategy helps me stay on track.

4. Participate. Visit other blogs and comment. And not one or two words. A couple paragraphs. Contribute...make yourself useful and interesting. Earn the right to add your URL to your comment and it will be appreciated.

5. Use trackbacks, but when contributing to the conversation.

6. Use a spam filter. Take the time to comb through spammed comments and rescue legitimate ones.

7. Try to stir up conversation. It's harder than you would think. It takes real effort.

8. Your blogroll is a valuable commodity. Don't just link to every interesting site you come across. That's what your posts or a 'links' page are for. Link to amazing or truly fascinating blogs whose authors have unique perspectives, voices or content and reserve your blogroll for them. More is not always better. More importantly, visit those blogs and send them traffic and strike up relationships with the authors/owners.

9. Make it easy for others to contact you. Then, respond well.

10. Offer help and resources. I have helped out other bloggers with design issues, code, strategy, marketing, etc. It pays off. If you don't have a huge commercial blog, this is often the unique proposition you have to offer. Getting involved leads to fulfillment, something I picked up from a smart music marketing exec a few years back.

11. Most importantly--be yourself. Your unique voice is what gets people to your blog. You can find duplicate content all over the web...same photos, same videos, same ideas. It is how you present them that makes the difference.

12. Don't be afraid to stand behind your words. Don't be afraid to make mistakes and to correct them when you do. Most importantly, to the extent you can, make every effort to get facts right.

13. Join at least one blogger community.

14. Content that appeals is vital. Add a photo or embed a video now and then to make it more visually appealing. Doodle cartoons and stick them in your posts. But also, blog about relevant issues to the target audience you are trying to reach. Make sure there are some links in your posts of course!

15. Growing blog traffic requires some sort of planning and if you're doing it with an eye to making money or as a business, then respect what you're doing as just that. Business is about relationships. I've had CEO's, PhD's, writers, business owners, motion picture companies, and government officials send me personal emails as a result of my blog and have landed work because of it and continue to do so. I have helped other bloggers every chance I get, and it has paid me back in more ways than one.

16. Blogging is writing. The better you are at it, the better your results will be. This means talent, skill, reading a lot, finding your voice, fact checking, and catchy titles and chunking your content...you're writing for the web after all.

17. There are a lot of widgets and tools out there. Don't be afraid to try and then discard them, or make use of them if they work. But don't get caught up in them.

18. Beware of any dependencies. Relationships, platform, hosting, whatever. This is hard for any of us to avoid, but reduce them where you can and have a plan B in case something goes wrong with some critical element. Occasional SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats) analysis is good for anyone to do.

19. Have fun.

20. If you want to join the fight, ride to the sound of the guns. Check out those top bloggers and see what they're doing. I like to read Guy Kawasaki's blog, How to Change the World.

You will notice not once did I mention search engines, SEO, SEM, advertising, page rank and so forth. I disregard them all with my personal blog and still achieve my goals. I even took a month off from blogging and maintained 150 visitors a day to my blog. When I picked back up, so did the numbers. Why?

No one was really reading my blog because a search engine told them to.

Sure, that's how some found it but the posts and what was written made them read. The search engines found me on their own because others linked to me and a few posts did good on Technorati or Digg. CNN sends me a lot of traffic and so do my blogger friends.

Now, you may want thousands of visitors per day, or tens of thousands. All you need do is the same thing and throw in a good media plan. If the foundation for your blog is built upon quality and a unique voice, it is easier to grow your blog. People will begin linking to you and word of mouth will spread. Throwing a well thought out advertising campaign into the mix then becomes easier.

Sorry for the rambling, long reply. I hope you'll find something in it helpful or inspiring.

Luck & best wishes,

Sean
    Connectionary
    Sustainable eBusiness, Economic Development, Communications
    http://www.connectionary.com/
    http://twitter.com/Connectionary

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to get blogrolled by other blogs related to yours. If you have quality posts your chances will be better.

Good Luck

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a tv and movie blog. Social bookmarking helps a whole lot especially on digg and propeller. Submitting your site to blogcatalog and being active in their discussions will help you get traffic too as well as invitations for link exchanges. Some just link you on their own.

Like with RoqueOnTheNet, I get a lot of visitors when I post two or more entries a day. Especially when they're scoops like new trailers, stills and other news. Just be sure you post some fresh content as much as you can. Oh and in-depth reviews on movies you recently watched will generate readers and comments as well

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a good start by picking the domain tvandfilmblog.com. This domain can prove very valuable to you if you ever get your blog to be very popular and great for SEO. I'm not an SEO expert but perhaps someone else can help you on that.

I find the social bookmarking approach to be tedious, but that's just me. My efforts seem to spread thin if I use too many social bookmarking sites. It's more enjoyable to leave comments in other people's articles.