User Tag List

Thread: BSD License?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BSD License?

I am negotiating a contract with a programmer for a profit sharing deal on a large and highly original project. He is requesting a BSD license. He says that it is important for him because he wants to be able to reuse certain parts of the code in future projects such as the CMS. Would this allow him to completely copy the inner workings of the site and just get a new design?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

as far as I know yes. And if you license the website business to, say France, you will have to provide source code as well.

I suggest looking at the MIT licence, as far as I know the only licence that allows the source code to be locked up upon relicensing.

There is no open source license that will protect you against the developer reusing the code.

In terms of getting the right license from your developer that is a question of money. He is surely happy to licence this open source and closed source to you at the same time.

If you really think this is the new Lempel-ziv algorithm, get an employee.

If it is about the business model, get contractors that hate re-using or make them sign a valid non-competition agreement (consult your lawyer)

HTH, Jochen
    http://www.automatem.co.nz
    Websites, On-line Software and everything Internet
    Follow on Twitter | Connect on LinkedIn | Read on Posterous

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, he can but he has to retain the copyright notice and shall not put your name or your company name as promotional material when he produces the derivative work from the original project.