SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Web Design Business Kit 2.0 Reviews?

I'm looking to find some reviews on this kit. It looks like a fantastic product, and is exactly what I need. If it's worth the $247 I have absolutely no problem paying for it. So my question, is it worth that much, and why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope this doesn't sound wrong or anything, and I trust most people here to give solid reviews on products, but I still think it's best to look for reviews of a book on websites not affiliated with the publisher. I personally trust the Sitepoint set of materials, but that's because I've read quite a lot of them.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries Chris (Good name by the way Same as me... and the other 5 million of us )

I've posted on some other forums I take part in as well. $247 isn't a small price for a course, but I'm willing to pay it if it's quality, that's why I'm asking in more than one place.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a course. It's a manual for setting up, running and expanding a Web site design/development business. It deals with a lot of issues, but has a very strong emphasis on customer service (yes, there is such a thing) and marketing - and MAKING SALES.

It's well worth the money, and you can more than make up the cost of the kit with the next sale you make.

(And yes, I do own a copy of the WDBK 2.0)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dan! Course is a general term to me, I tend to use it for any big info product like this... Thanks for clearing that up though.

I'm pretty much convinced that I'll be buying this within the next week.

Over the past weeks I've also become convinced that if I want to make bigger sales, online is not the way to go, which is one of the major pulls for me to this product.

Thanks for your thought Dan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem. And you are right - online is NOT the way to go, but if you're really going to make it off-line, you're going to need people to compliment your strengths and shore up your weaknesses. Whether they're employees (just starting I would NOT do this) or contractors (this is what I'd do) doesn't matter - you NEED people to support you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dan. Good words of advice. You're exactly right, for now at least, I'm looking very hard at creating a pool of contractors of all types that I can hire out tasks I am unable to focus my time on.

There's a LOT I don't know about business, I hope to reconcile that sooner than later though by socializing with people who have 'been there, done that'.

If you ever come down to Chicago (I see you're not too far!), let me know and I'll buy you a drink for lending a hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the time when I go to Chicago it's just to switch trains so I can get to Mount Prospect, but I'll see what I can do.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If someone would like to sell me a used version of this kit, let's talk
    report.dreamhosters.com | For sale: gorgeoustemplates.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found that (based on my copy of the kit) that this is far far too valuable to let go. In fact, I haven't even seen an after-market for used copies of this kit - it's that valuable, like gold.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No matter how good it is, once you've read it once (even twice), you leave it on your shelf. It's a good idea to resell it for various obvious reasons...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't. If you're really that interested in buying it, why not just order it from SitePoint.com and be done with it?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because brand new, it's a lot of money for me.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by calande View Post
    No matter how good it is, once you've read it once (even twice), you leave it on your shelf. It's a good idea to resell it for various obvious reasons...
    But it isn't a book as such, it is a reference and includes a lot of pro-formas that can be used either as is or as a guide.

I have the kit but wouldn't sell it because I use bits and pieces out of it on an ongoing basis depending on what document I am drawing up.

You Bet Your Life...Really lerxtjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because brand new, it's a lot of money for me.
    I don't own the kit but this particular line caught my eye. I spent about $20K last year in educational materials, attending conferences, specialized training, probably another $10K just in trial and error with some google adword campaigns.

Every dollar I've invested in my own learning has paid for itself many times over. The amount you invest in your learning will be directly related to how much you make in this business.

If you can't afford a couple hundred bucks for a kit where just one suggestion might make you $10,000 next month or year, you need to re-evaluate why you're in such a money crunch in the first place and get some education.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lerxtjr View Post
    $10,000 next month or year
    I'm far from earning this amount of money in a year (not to mention in a month). $200 is a lot of money for me, I need to work a lot to make this amount of money.

It all depends where you live.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all - I just purchased the kit and it's great.

I started a new thread for OWNERS of the kit to discuss their progress and the finer points. If you own the kit, please weigh in. The thread is titled (forum won't let me post a link yet):

OWNERS of Web Design Business Kit 2.0 - DISCUSSION HERE
    Last edited by Dan Schulz; May 15, 2009 at 10:41. Reason: added link
    Freelance Web Designer + Developer
    www.briancasel.com