SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Apply "!important" to style-rule?

Has anyone been successful in doing something like this?

ex.
    Code:
    obj.style.backgroundAttachment="fixed !important";
    That is, !important is usually dropped (at least on FF) and I'm wondering if there's a solution so that it wouldn't be. TIA

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    !important in an external stylesheet beats something in an inline style. I don't think there's anything you can do about this except stop using !important in your stylesheet and just rely on plain old specificity and the cascade to make sure your inline styles rule mighty in the land again.

It's interesting what you're trying to do, putting !important in the inline style. My gut reaction was "that won't "work" but I haven't tested it. In any case, the use of !important creates maintenance problems, and inline styles are discouraged unless, as I'm assuming, you're using them with JavaScript for simple toggling between things. You could always toggle between class names though, that's cleaner and generally nicer and more semantic. Just because generated content doesn't appear in the source doesn't mean it doesn't need to be as pretty as the original source markup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    !important in an external stylesheet beats something in an inline style. I don't think there's anything you can do about this except stop using !important in your stylesheet and just rely on plain old specificity and the cascade to make sure your inline styles rule mighty in the land again.

It's interesting what you're trying to do, putting !important in the inline style. My gut reaction was "that won't "work" but I haven't tested it. In any case, the use of !important creates maintenance problems, and inline styles are discouraged unless, as I'm assuming, you're using them with JavaScript for simple toggling between things. You could always toggle between class names though, that's cleaner and generally nicer and more semantic. Just because generated content doesn't appear in the source doesn't mean it doesn't need to be as pretty as the original source markup.
    True... it's somewhere along the line of toggling. I was trying to use it to see if it'll work when there is an Ad campaign that'll have a siteskin and extra other styles that makes the look and feel for that Ad campaign. The thing is, the pages that those toggle will be affecting pages that have are already cascading (i.e. set-B / portals) from a base stylesheet (i.e. set-A / main homepage). And some of the style-rules in that set-B use !important due to switching/caching issues between different portals.

But yah, its confusing lol... so here's somewhat of visual (as it's still under dev)

A > B1
    A > B2 > Ad campaign siteskin + extra styled-elements
    A > B3
    etc...

Meanwhile, I'll go ahead and try className toggling and see if that can work.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can apply this using the setProperty method.

Example:
    Code HTML4Strict:
    <p id="paragraph">test</p>

Code JavaScript:
    var p = document.getElementById("paragraph");
    p.style.setProperty("color", "red", "important");

Supported in all modern browsers except... IE.
    Last edited by Pepejeria; Mar 27, 2008 at 08:05.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepejeria View Post
    You can apply this using the setProperty method.

Example:
    Code HTML4Strict:
    <p id="paragraph">test</p>

Code JavaScript:
    var p = document.getElementById("paragraph");
    p.style.setProperty("color", "red", "important");

Supported all modern browsers except... IE.
    IE... damn. =)

Thanks, I'll give it a try.