SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Post www.savethedevelopers.org ?? Thoughts please..

If you haven't seen this yet head on over here

What do you guys think about this? In principle, I love the idea and would like to add this to my site, but I've got deep reservations to be honest.

Can we really justify putting this little javascript popup on our sites to entice people away from IE6? Really, has it gone too far do you think? I'm pretty sure it would annoy some people. What are your thoughts on this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I agree that people should upgrade their browsers.. but c'mon.
    It's not in my professional place to tell people which browser to use. Are we going back to labels like 'best viewed in IE7 and FF2'?

If it was 'savetheuser' I'd be all for it, but who the heck cares about the developers?

So yes, I think it has gone too far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, my take on it is that there's probably 3 segments of people that are using IE6:

1) Those who are testing
    2) Those who are not techies, and don't understand why. This page really doesn't explain it to this particular target audience.
    3) Those who think IE7 is too slow, and don't know about firefox or other alternatives

1 and 3 really aren't going to change in my opinion, and 1 won't change unless 2 changes. It's what makes web development so much fun!

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @junjun...That's a very good point! There's latent psychology at work in there.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    879 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    No way! Something to make our lives easier? I don't believe it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cute, but no.

I believe by now that the majority of people who are still using IE6 either can't upgrade, or won't upgrade, not that they don't know how to. Even my mother upgraded to IE7 with the rollout a few months ago! (Despite me installing Firefox on all her laptops.)

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_fuel View Post
    Well, my take on it is that there's probably 3 segments of people that are using IE6
    Let me add a couple:

4) Those who are running Windows 2000 or older, for which there is no IE7.

5) Those who have intranets with applications that won't work in anything but IE6.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I appreciate what they are trying to do but as others have said - it's not up to me to tell the user to upgrade their browser (unless they are using IE3, NN1 etc - yes, it's happened!)
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_fuel View Post
    Well, my take on it is that there's probably 3 segments of people that are using IE6:
    or

6) those that work for organizations who have not yet moved off of IE6 because they do not have the time/budget to re-verify all their pages and applications through another browser. The prevailing attitude is the defacto standard has been in place, and there is no need to upgrade.
    Last edited by DaveMaxwell; Mar 26, 2008 at 05:38. Reason: (had to change it to six...didn't see Tommy's post :(
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's almost a little like whining.. "I have to code for IE6, whawhawhaaa!". So we have to code for IE6. Big deal. It's your job. Remember when we had to deal with NN4? Coding for IE6 is nothing compared to the crap we had to deal with previously. Save the Developers? Sounds like some developers needs to be saved from themselves. Asking users to save developers? It's a little upside down..

I love movements like Spread Firefox and how it has helped many people understand there's a choice in browsers. I've tried to have friends and family upgrade their browsers as well. But there's a time and place for everything. Confusing a user during their browsing time online is not the place.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junjun View Post
    Personally I agree that people should upgrade their browsers.. but c'mon.
    It's not in my professional place to tell people which browser to use. Are we going back to labels like 'best viewed in IE7 and FF2'?

If it was 'savetheuser' I'd be all for it, but who the heck cares about the developers?

So yes, I think it has gone too far.
    I don't believe it's gone too far. I think Microsoft goes too far in designing a OS that isn't forward compatible per their newest browsers.

Every browser out there including explore 7 are on the cusp of showing cross browser compatibility and then we have this hanger on in explorer 6 that has no reason for being there.

As a designer, when I want to push the boundaries of the web, every other browser allows me that, except for Explorer6, or should I call it Exploder6. If people want to see more interesting web design, besides the 2 or 3 column nav on the side, nav on the top, banner yadda yadda yadda, then it is to the users benefit to upgrade their browser. Not only are all the other browsers safer, most are faster.

Microsoft needs to get with the program, they design these ludicrously bulky, ill conceived OS's like Vista. (this coming from an XP user) The least they could do is create a browser that is compatible with the majority of the other browsers on the market.

Man am I glad firefox is starting to take up the majority of the market and hopefully Google Chrome will make Explorer 6 obsolete. Explorer 6 is a the bane of web browsing and web design.