SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict MikesBarto2002's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question She wants to make changes... AGAIN!

I am wondering what is the best way to make sure that your client doesn't make too many changes to your design so that it takes many more hours to create the site than you were planning.

For example, I have a client who I created 5 or 6 different templates for using Fireworks. I created them on Fireworks so that she could see the layout, we could agree on it and then I would just have to code it.

After she approved the layout, I coded the site and sent it to her to double check for any last minute errors. She then proceeded to say that now that she had looked at it again, she wanted to make some more changes... not to the content but to the layout!

She had all of the templates and plenty of time to look at them and make sure they were of her liking. This is now going to add more time onto this project, and I would like to avoid having this happen in the future.

Any advice on how to word something like this in a contract?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikesBarto2002 View Post
    After she approved the layout, I coded the site and sent it to her to double check for any last minute errors. She then proceeded to say that now that she had looked at it again, she wanted to make some more changes... not to the content but to the layout!
    Changeorder. Make sure this is covered in your contract and that client understands that changes after approval will occur cost.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always reserve the right, in the original contract, to charge by the hour at a predetermined rate in the event of change orders. The net effect of this is that the client will take a sharper pencil to the original specification, making change orders less likely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have in the contract my hourly rate for further work, but do you guys do it by the hour, or do you allow the customer a specific amount of templates that they can have in the first place so that they know exactly how many chances they get at getting it right?

Thanks for the great advice as well! I truly appreciate it.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most give a few free revisions during the design process, but once they've signed off (if they're not doing that, you need to have them doing that) and you've started coding, then that should be it. Your signoff sheet can contain text like, "I understand that I am giving final approval to the design, and any further changes I request will incur additional cost."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do an actual changeorder. It might be that we need to get right on a new project, so the changeorder goes into cue.

SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldve assumed that the original layout wouldve been signed off under some form of user acceptance.

Never heard of a change order. Got an example for us to look at junjun?

RJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically just a document that adds to the project scope:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+change+order

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is all really great advice. I like the idea of both, and will definitely implement them ASAP. Thanks for all of the advice, everyone!