SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Multiple blogs on a single site?

Can it be done?

Here is the deal? My client manages 6 different motivational speakers. They all have their own blogs through Blogger, but for streamlining and better control over traffic, we would like to house all of them through a single site with their blogs on separate individual pages within the site. I now this is a little unorthodox, but can we do it? If so, HOW??

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you had access to the database or feeds you may be able to integrate them into one website.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are starting a new site for them it would be rather easy. One way is to to set up an individual database for every blog. And set the blogs up on different pages.
    e.g www.domain.com/1stblog/
    www.domain.com/2ndblog/ etc

www.foxsports.com.au is an example of a site with several blogs.
    Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can think of four options here (all using WordPress):

1. Take the RSS feed from the existing blogs and output them to the new one. I assume there are plugins out there for doing this - I haven't checked though.
    2. Setup entirely new blogs for them within a single WordPress installation with a separate category for each blog.
    3. Setup entirely new blogs for them on different folders/subdomains
    4. Setup entirely new blogs for them by using WordPress Mu

Option 1 can create dual content issues.

Option 2 will not give the same flexibility as users wont have seperate categories, their own about page, their own theme etc.

Option 3 requires installing a bunch of programs which do the same task - see option 4

Option 4 seems like the best option as it would make maintenance a little easier as there would only be one program to update/modify/backup, yet it would give the bloggers the opportunity to customise their blog almost as much as a regular WordPress site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just use the "Authors" feature? Each author logs in as herself, and her posts are tagged as hers ("Posted by AuthorName"). Make the home page a static page, then put up a link for each author in the sidebar. That link would point to "domain.com/index.php/author/AuthorName/".

One install, one DB, one RSS feed, no mucking about with duplicate content or special code.
    M Blaze Miskulin
    President
    Geek Niche Web Hosting

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you taken a look at Wordpress MU (Multi-user)?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering how to do that and found this post helpful. I only have a blog I do on our site but if we added other people posting this would have been helpful to see how to do.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress is certainly the only option here to do it right.
    The ideas of doing domain.com/1stblog and domain.com/2ndblog seems like it would be more personal to the speakers.... but I think they could all get more exposure using the Authors feature (would be updated more often, etc.)

- Dennis Fister
    Check out my home page at the Home Page of Dennis Fister and my
    friend's site at the Home Page of Jose Cisneros

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botrishlaw View Post
    Can it be done?

Here is the deal? My client manages 6 different motivational speakers. They all have their own blogs through Blogger, but for streamlining and better control over traffic, we would like to house all of them through a single site with their blogs on separate individual pages within the site. I now this is a little unorthodox, but can we do it? If so, HOW??

Thanks!
    Check out b2evolution which is multiblog blogware, Nucleus CMS...or as others have mentioned WordPressMU (however, I am jumping ship from WordPress after the latest release of their Dashboard which I think is three steps backwards in terms of usability).

Hope this helps.

Sean
    Connectionary
    Sustainable eBusiness, Economic Development, Communications
    http://www.connectionary.com/
    http://twitter.com/Connectionary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you!

I had heard about the WP MU version, but I hadn't tested it yet. That was my thought on the best option as well, but I wanted the "expert" opinion I often get here!

Thanks guys and gals!

SitePoint Enthusiast pinkyslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could set up several sub-domains and then just branch them from different categories. wordpress will let you do this. pretty easy.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not show the rss feeds of the blogs on the site

Always A Novice bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The only thing is you have to decide whether you want them all on on database or seperate ones. I 'think' that having them all in the same db will save system resources on the server. So just setup a db and username, when setting up each db make sure you change the prefix in the setup file so that you dnt have any overwriting going on.