SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict silver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are "get rich quick" e-books widely consdered to be "premium" sites?

Are "get rich quick" e-books widely considered to be premium sites? If the number of them appearing in Sitepoint's marketplace under the "premium sites for sale" category is anything to go by, then apparently the answer is yes.

However, I struggle to see how a one page website selling a "get rich quick" e-book with all the "buy now", "are you ready to get rich?", "are you ready to change your life?" nonsense these sites routinely use as sales puffery can reasonably be considered to represent a "premium" offer.

I suspect many good sites currently offered for sale at Sitepoint's marketplace are being undermined by these "get-rich-and-earn-70k-per-month-by-doing-nothing" e-books.

Should Sitepoint (and the rest of us) be raising the bar when it comes to the definition of what a premium site really is?

If not, then count me out! I for one have better things to do than waste my time with dodgy e-book sellers.

Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These sites are the scum of the interwebs IMO. They should be banned outright from the marketplace.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The biggest problem is where you draw the line between garbage like that and quality sites and also how you then enforce it so as to keep the garbage out. Without a proper solution the marketplace will continue to get spam posts like those.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Addict silver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    The biggest problem is where you draw the line between garbage like that and quality sites and also how you then enforce it so as to keep the garbage out. Without a proper solution the marketplace will continue to get spam posts like those.
    Good point. But surely a separate category called "e-books" could easily be established so that those not wishing to trawl through this sort of rubbish can simply avoid it?

Consider the following two auctions:

http://marketplace.sitepoint.com/auctions/32753

Contrast this with the following:

http://marketplace.sitepoint.com/auctions/32791

One of these sites is definitely not premium. The other one is. Does there exist the potential for less savvy Sitepoint users to be misled by the placement of e-book sites within a category entitled "premium"?

I don't like seeing people get duped. As a community I feel we have an obligation to ensure this doesn't happen to those with less knowledge/time working with websites!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its unfair to lump all ebooks under one umbrella - there's plenty of good quality ebooks out there, and I'm sure some of the get-rich-quick stuff has some merit. In the end, how does Sitepoint decide which listings are not worthy of the 'premium' label (assuming the seller insists it generates the required income level for a 'premium' categorisation)?

It all comes down to a personal opinion, so I say let the readers make their own mind up. Just ask yourself why someone would want to sell such a supposedly high profit, effortless, easy-money business in the first place.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree shadowbox. I've looked into buying some sitepoint sites but haven't for various reasons. I have several good sites that there's no way I'm going to sell, so I have to decide whether they're on the level or not. As for ebooks, a separate category would get rid of those site.

I think it would be fairly simple to define a premium site. Domain age, traffic sources and number of pages could be used in a simple algorithm to decide whether it should fit into the premium category. A one page ebook site which gets its traffic from adwords wouldn't qualify whereas a 2 year old domain with 30 pages and traffic from google, yahoo and msn wouldn.

SitePoint Enthusiast jawzishere's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have just brought up something me and my partner noticed a long time ago.

"Should Sitepoint be raising the bar when it comes to the definition of what a premium site really is?"

Who knows that's up to them. Everyone (or everysite) has it's faults.

Will Sitepoint's up and coming competitors such as BuyEstablishedWebsites.com be raising the bar when it comes to the definition of what a premium site is and be filtering out all the junk sites?

Dang straight we will be. Just wait and see.
    Looking To Buy A Website And Flip It For Cash?
    Trying To Sell A Website For Some Quick Money?
    Check Out BuyEstablishedWebsites.com To
    Buy and Sell Websites. Plus A Forum
    For Discussion.