SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to upgrade WP plugins?

Seems simple enough.. how do I upgrade a plugin in WP? Does anyone have a specific link to a page with this information?

When I do a Google search on keywords like "plugins upgrade" I get a bunch of results to an actual WP "Upgrade Plugin". Searching on terms like "install new version of WP plugin" is surprisingly unhelpful. I also tried within the WP site too and I get pages without specifics like this:

http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Housekeeping
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Managing_Plugins.

I know I download a zip file, extract it locally, but then do I FTP it to under the /plugins directory? Overwriting the previous plugins directory ...or what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends on the plugin and on the changes that have been made since the version you're running.

If there isn't a readme included with the plugin it should be as easy as disabling the plugin, delete the files on the server (this is important as I had a plugin that changed its file structure from one release to the next, but this was described in the readme), then upload the new files to the exact same plugin directory, and activate it again.

Don't forget to make a backup of your database and the files you delete on the server, just in case.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WordPress 2.5 features an automatic updater, so you can just enter your FTP details in and the plugins will update at the click of a button