Thread: Help Needed !

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help Needed !

Hi,
    We are small group of sport enthusiasts planning to start a people powered information portal (think armchairgm.com). We are planning to have a wiki where people can post latest news in the sports world. But we are worried that the users might abuse the feature by posting copyrighted content, images on the website.
    How do we go about preventing such a thing.
    Also, a general query? How does wikipedia prevent users from posting copyrighted content and images. Doesnt it get sued from the content owners?
    Would be waiting for some valuable suggestions

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    the answer to wiki abuse is moderation

when questionable content is posted, a moderator takes it down or corrects it

it's that simple

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply r937. How does the moderator know if the content or image is copyright protected.
    Also i wanna know if any such content is overlooked by the moderator, then can the owner sue the website. What can we do to prevent such a situation ( like disclaimers, terms etc.. )

SitePoint Enthusiast jawzishere's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would simply post a disclaimer on the site explaining that you are not to be held liable for any content that your users post on your site and if any content is found to be breaking copyright laws it will be immediately removed and furthermore if you feel our content is infringing on your copyright notify us immediately and it will be erased.

At that point you remove yourself from being liable and in fact are working to help people keep there content from being copied. This really would not require any moderation, people are going to post copyrighted content no matter what. All you have to do is remove content when someone requests. Simple as that.

I'm pretty sure Wikipedia has a similar system along those lines as well.
    Looking To Buy A Website And Flip It For Cash?
    Trying To Sell A Website For Some Quick Money?
    Check Out BuyEstablishedWebsites.com To
    Buy and Sell Websites. Plus A Forum
    For Discussion.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jawzishere View Post
    I would simply post a disclaimer on the site explaining that you are not to be held liable for any content that your users post on your site and if any content is found to be breaking copyright laws it will be immediately removed and furthermore if you feel our content is infringing on your copyright notify us immediately and it will be erased.

At that point you remove yourself from being liable
    Posting up a disclaimer and even having people agree to it does not remove your liability should your site be hosting copyrighted material. You are liable, period. Of course, most copyright holders will just send a C&D and expect the content removed, end of story - but in theory they could take matters further, especially if they feel you are knowingly hosting this material (and especially if you are profiting and they are losing money from your site's activities).

Any disclaimer you put up is merely an agreement between you and your members, it has nothing to do with the copyright holder. What it will give you is written evidence that your members agreed not to post up copyrighted material and therefore should you ever get sued for infringement over their actions, you could in turn counter-sue them.

Ultimately, it's all about how you conduct yourself. If it's clear you are an innocent bystander who's just trying to run a genuine site, and you quickly remove content, you'll be fine. This is how sites like wikipedia avoid being sued, simply because it is clear they are not purposely violating copyright. But don't be fooled into thinking a cobbled together disclaimer offers any form of legal protection from copyright holders - at best it my help show your true intent, but I've seen many file sharing sites that have similar disclaimers when it is painfully clear they have nothing but unlawful intentions.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies jawzishere and shadowbox:
    It was very informative. I would like to know if there is any content detection tool which acts as a watchman before any one posts copyrighted content. If there is no such tool existing, then it will be a tough task for the moderator i guess

Do I have to procure a licence for the content being posted for the site we are planning to launch (refer my intial post), something like creative commons?