SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FragReel.com Design Demo

Here is the demo I put together before moving forward onto coding my new site thats about to launch in a couple days called FragReel.com.

You can see the design elements here (click the image for next page demo):

http://www.clippitch.com/fragreel

I am very picky when it comes to laying out a website idea in photoshop. I tend to create more pages then needed but it helps guide me when adding the code.

8 years experience taught me to prepare before going gung ho!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think that it's pretty cool.

the header is a little crazy and crowded, and i don't get the tape things (the yellowish-brown things that are scattered for no apparent reason)

anyway, the site seems awesome and easy to use. good job with it - and good luck!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea i made the header so it was crazy, something to make the viewers remember the site from. and the tape you guessed it right, its tape scattered around holding down crap, but i made the tape look like it was pulled off 50+ times and put back on.

the site is almost fully coded into php now, i will be posting that up real soon.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I am neither to sure about the tape it doesn't seem to have any purpose on the site or order just looks a little over the top to me. I do like the look of the site and I think it is a decent design but maybe a little over crowded thats all I would maybe just simplify it a little. When I first looked at the site I thought yes really nice but then thats from a design point of view but you have to look from the viewers view to and I feel that they would be very confused of where to look first, where the menu is and also the advertisement banner seems a little out of place an breaks up the flow of the site you seem to have the banner in a very prime location in which i feel more drawn to look at that rather than you website.

Hope this helps

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well the plan with the tape is just little bit extra creativity thrown in. my audience will be gamers, so they are used to these types of layouts. i put the banner ad in prime position to push products I will be endorsing, for example nvidia or xfx. i removed the leaderboard ad for the view video page, still working out where I want to display ads on that page, maybe just a square block ad.

the site is almost fully coded....

http://www.fragreel.com/index.php

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice job - it's looking good.

i agree with the 'too much going on' comment. the site will be used by gamers, so they are used to it, but I still think it's a little overboard. I still don't get the tape. I think that it could go without affecting (effecting?) the creativity of the site. it just seems out of place.

either way the site's nice.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Error

Quote Originally Posted by FragReel View Post
    well the plan with the tape is just little bit extra creativity thrown in. my audience will be gamers, so they are used to these types of layouts. i put the banner ad in prime position to push products I will be endorsing, for example nvidia or xfx. i removed the leaderboard ad for the view video page, still working out where I want to display ads on that page, maybe just a square block ad.

the site is almost fully coded....

http://www.fragreel.com/index.php
    At the bottom:
    Warning: Smarty error: unable to read resource: "http://www.fragreel.com/_mods/index_comments.cdc" in /home/fragreel/public_html/smarty/libs/Smarty.class.php on line 1088

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea working on comments for that area... its a piss off, im sure ill scheme up something in my sleep

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    please get rid of the tape. it's killing me.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Visiting the site, header part looks a bit broken in opera browser. Don't know if thats important to you but still i am attaching a screenshot.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design is looking good, but it is very hard to focus on one thing.

Obviously the grunge borders are something you were going for but it seems a bit too overused. Inside of the grunge borders try doing a solid box at a slightly darker color to subdue the grunge a bit, it will also help in separating the boxes from eachother.

All of your boxes are just about right up against eachother and I think that that is where a lot of the confusion is coming from. Maybe adding some white space between all of the boxes would help there.

The text within the Featured Videos is in definate need of some line spacing. Don't just use one size for the whole thing, change it up between titles, pragraphs, items, etc.

Lastly I'm not too sure about how I feel with everything in the site having the grunge borders and then the main content column has this techno-esk metal plating border. Just seems like too much of a jump in the styles.

Hope this helped .

- Steve

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice, looks great
    Last edited by web67; Apr 15, 2008 at 19:47.
    Keep Up to date about everthing Website Flipping
    Find out how to same thousands on your Mortgage Broker fees.