User Tag List

Threaded View

imagine no limitations exbabylon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Domain Name Legality Question

This questions may fall under another category, but I assume that this is the one I should start under.

I run a web development company and we recently gained a contract through a marketing firm to develop a website for their client, let's say it was for ABC company.

We put together our standard contract, with the marketing firm being responsible for all payment, client handling, design layout, etc.

Well, we developed, bought the domain, and have been hosting the website now for nearly 6 months... with no payment of any kind. Turns out the marketing company only got paid for half of their fees (for everything, not just the website), and never received anything further- so they don't see a reason to pay us.

I have been in talks with ABC company, and they talked like they would be willing to pay us a percentage of the original price in order to gain ownership of their website and domain name. All the while I, in good faith, have continued to host it.

I have been unable to reach them for nearly a month, and last weekend found another website that they have built under a new domain name.

I Googled their company name and found that we had done a great job in search engine marketing- their old domain (the one that I still own) comes up everywhere. Not to mention that they launched a fairly extensive marketing campaign last fall with my domain name.

So, can I put up a "public notice" of non payment, and state the amounts, dates etc. on the domain name I use? I don't want to extort this company, only get the original (or a portion of it) contract price out of the website that we built for them (plus our hosting expense for 6 months).

Anyone have any input? Have you been here before? Can I post a "shutdown due to non-payment" notice?

Thanks for all your input,

Alex Stanton
    Last edited by stymiee; Mar 21, 2008 at 17:21. Reason: use your signature
    Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who was responsible.

Exbabylon- Professional Internet Services