SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How get a bank account in USA without going there?

I'm a Swedish citizen. Many years ago when I visited New York, I got myself a bank account there (can't recall the bank now though). Now I would need an account again. I wonder if anyone here perhaps knows how to acquire one without physically go there.

(Reason: I have customers in USA who are paying according to a fixed agreement we signed a year ago and which I cannot change. Due the present exchange rate, I lose pretty much money each time they pay. I'd rather keep the $ in USA until the rate returns to something more reasonable).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps calling a branch of the bank in question and asking them if they can do it for you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think its possible, unless you go there. Not sure.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think is posible. My sister moved from the US to Europe and she's been given 1 year to close her bank account now that she doesn't live there.

What you should talk to your bank is the posibility of having a US Dollar account there. All banks offer currency accounts, then you would only have to wait till the exchage rate is better for your business to move it to your regular account.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for kind replies and suggestions.

Yes, I will contact some US banks' Swedish branches and ask.

The reasons I'd like to avoid actually bringing the $ to a dollar account in my own Swedish bank are due tax purposes and the silly costs I'll be charged here for just having such account. Plus, I am paying several suppliers in USA (webhosts, etc) and I see no reasn for first bringing the $ to Sweden and then back to US.

I'll be back about this though...

Meanwhile: Happy Easter!

SitePoint Enthusiast Imran Khalid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe someone in US can help you...............

otherwise it looks very difficult
    Imran Khalid ~ My Blog ♥
    Seo Opinion
    Taking Offers: Humiliated.co

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without connections I don't think it's possible.

I tried sometime last year. I needed one so I could use Paypal (as it's not supported in Trinidad).

Mailed in some forms and stuff to some bank... can't remember which... but in the end they rejected it.

There was also a round-the-bush method of getting an E*Trade account that can operate as a bank account but I was un-sure of the legality of it all so I abandoned the idea.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You won't be able to set up an account legally unless your a US citizen, however you can set up an offshore account such as in Panama or the Cayman islands.(Though I'm not too sure if this will help you save on the currency exchange)
    Elief! - High Quality Web Hosting
    Premium Bandwidth - cPanel - PHP5, CGI, Perl, RoR
    Elief.com - Elief Web Services, LLC.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rowan View Post
    You won't be able to set up an account legally unless your a US citizen.
    You are wrong, non US persons can legally have account in US. It is just that most of the banks do not open accounts by mail.

First thing for you is to contact some Swedish banks that have branches in US. If this will not work, contact HSBC or Citibank and then visit any of their branch in Europe for verification of documents. I think also bank of america have international department where you can open account by mail, but i am not 100% sure about this, there is also Wells Fargo you can consider.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, actually you are incorrect. It is illegal for the banks to give someone an account who is not living in the US, a legalized US citizen, or at least face to face with them in the bank due to the YKYC rules set in place. So in his situation it would be illegal for a bank to give him an account. After 9/11 they became very strict with this.

The only way I could see him getting one is if the bank that he previously had an account with had his records on file.
    Elief! - High Quality Web Hosting
    Premium Bandwidth - cPanel - PHP5, CGI, Perl, RoR
    Elief.com - Elief Web Services, LLC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Establishing a US LLC & Bank Account will help some

Part 5: Businesses meet immigrants' needs shows a bit more information about Bank of America. You might also see Looking for US bank account for non US Citizen

To satisfy the YKYC (You know your customer) regulation is easily done - by walking into the bank. However over the Internet most banks will ask for the SSN. The SSN has been abused unfortunately by many companies using it for identification, which was not its intended purpose.

Go around to some of your banks - small and large. See if they can help you with opening a United States bank account. Some banks will have a relationship with a United States bank and that will help you get your account.

I used to have a great thread on the WebhostingTalk forum re: one of the users actually vacationing in the United States and she reported back that she got a bank account with Bank of America. I cannot find that thread, but I will keep looking.

Don't give up - you can get one - one way or another.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are in US and you are non US person you can walk in any major bank (BoA, Citibank, Wells Fargo, HSBC, etc) and they will open account without any problems. My friend from Europe did this in January 2008. He went to HSBC and he is having account with them now. These big banks also have option to open account through their international offices without visiting bank in person. Check https://www.wellsfargo.com/inatl/con...questid=218139