SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making passive income without "wearing many hats"

For a couple months now, I have become interested in making income off the web by running websites, particularly about my interests and hobbies. However, marketing does not come easy to me as web design and development. Marketing is not for me. I want to play to my strengths, rather than building up new skills. Participating in affiliate programs looks like a no-brainer the more I read about it. Is it possible to do well in passive income while not being very much into the act of marketing and promotion? Tyler Cruz seems to have a good handle on it.

Keep in mind, I don't want to discuss the small details of affiliate programs, which is why I made the topic here and not in Advertising/Affiliate Programs. I want to talk about the broader, high-level steps of making income.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To have passive income requires you to have some method of revenue generation. On the web that generally means ownership of something making money or traffic to monetize. Having an affiliate program means getting sales which by definition means promoting or marketing. In some of the chain business models your promotion is limited as you really just serve as a distributor with other people driving sales but even that takes an initial amount of buzz to get people to buy into the system at the first level. For most sites with revenue, you'll either have to develop something that attracts people on an existing network (i.e. a facebook app) or develop content that you can promote to people to drive them to you.

Either way if you want income that doesn't require you to lift a finger after the initial investment then you're going to have to do something relatively novel & unique or market it better than anyone has in the past. If there was a simple way to make money without expending additional effort everyone would be doing it... thus the businesses you do see either tend to take a lot of work (i.e. developing the next hot website that promotes its self virally) or be pushed out to people in a way not previously done.
    - Ted S

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are better at web design, you may elect to get paid for that, but usually that has a finite return per job, while it sounds like you want is income that keeps growing over time as a result of traffic.

Maybe the issue is more about the way you think of marketing. Surely, you enjoy talking about your hobby or niche, so maybe there is a way where you can do this and be marketing at the same time?

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you're into Web design and development, I'd focus on that and see if you can get your clients onto monthly retainers - maintenance fees can add up for you once you have between 10-15 clients or so paying you each month.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pick up a copy of the Four Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss. If you're interested in automating income via the web, he'll show you how he (and others) did it. The book is great for more than that, but income automation is a big chunk of it. I'd suggest getting the audio version on itunes or audible.com. I liked it so much that I got the paper version too.

SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if youre serious about making BIG money, eventually at some point youre going to have to take an interest or at least hire someone to assist with a marketing strategy/campaign.

RJ

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm not well-versed in campaigning and promoting my sites. All I can do is apply my ideas technically to make websites, but none of them have been popular.

SitePoint Enthusiast jawzishere's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you do have yourself quite a dilemma there. In order to succeed on the net you have to be able to drive traffic to your site somehow.

You could have the best content in the world but if you have no traffic you will never prosper, plain and simple.

Since you are not looking to build up new skills I would recommend finding a partner who is into the technical aspects and marketing aspects of the web. Set up a deal with them to split profits some way and work together. This can be a little risky but there are generally nice people out there wanting to succeed and partner with someone else. I don't know if Sitepoint has a place to find people looking for partnerships but YoungEntrepreneur.com has a great community for that. That's how I found my current partner.

If you can provide the content I guarantee there's someone out there who is willing to host and market it for you.
    Looking To Buy A Website And Flip It For Cash?
    Trying To Sell A Website For Some Quick Money?
    Check Out BuyEstablishedWebsites.com To
    Buy and Sell Websites. Plus A Forum
    For Discussion.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finding a partner might be too tricky for me. I haven't finished making the site yet and it's mostly incomplete. So can I just apply my tech skills to create a website loaded with interesting features, and let it make passive income that rivals the websites that are filled with online marketing advice?

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't sound likely to succeed.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Doesn't sound likely to succeed.
    Bahhh....I didn't want to be subject to a situation fraught with dominant strategy.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are good at what you do, there may come a day where the right person discovers you, and is excited about reselling your work. That is sort of what happened to me in a slightly different sense at one point in my career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's all about hard work and persistance