User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Newb needs help with audio/video for blind accessible site

Hello all,
    As one of my duties for the company I work for I built and maintain the website. Our site needs to be appealing to the sighted and blind community. It's all nice and accessible now, I used only HTML with CSS.
    Now I'm told I must make a page with audio testimonials as well as a video and I'm over my head a bit. The only way I know how to put audio in is to <a href> it. I've never done video. And I need to make it all accessible.
    What I have in my mind is a single page that have all the audio and video embedded (if I'm using the word properly) on it with little controls that a blind user can use as well as it looking appealing visually. I'd prefer not to link each file so it opens in a different page.
    I'm really not sure how to do this, I've googled it, and I've tried using this: <embed src="audio.mp3" autostart=false loop=false height=62 width=144 controls="console"> that I picked up from somewhere, but it shows no console. The audio is all mp3, the video is mpeg.
    I'm afraid I'm going to need a basic tutorial, and I can't find one on the web, at least not one that's newer than 8 years old. Any help you can give would be appreciated.
    TIA!

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, for starters you should provide text-based transcripts of the multimedia files for those who can't see/hear them or just prefer to read them. This doesn't need to be on a separate page - it can go on the same page as the multimedia file.

As for embedding the audio/video files, the article Bye Bye, Embed by Elizabeth Castro might be a good place to start.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! That put me in the right direction. Having seen it, I feel so silly having to ask about that, but all the tutorial sites stop short of discussing media it seems, and if you google it, all the information is out dated.
    Is there a list somewhere of common applications used with the <object> tag? Again I googled it and came up with garbage.
    Thanks again!

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem.