User Tag List

Nikolaev, Mykolayivs'Ka Oblast', Ukraine, Ukraine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

E - TextEditor and Ruby/Rails

Hello, everyone!
    Surfing around the Net, looking for a (possible) alternative to the Java based IDEs/editors, I've found E - TextEditor (http://www.e-texteditor.com/). It's supposed to be TextMate for Windows :-) Has anyone tried it (it's fully functional for 30 days)? I am not sure if the editor's worth installing since it's using cygwin - heard stories of cygwin messing up the systems.
    Any opinion stated here is MHO. | http://design.paliy.net.ua/

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I have fallen completely in love with the NetBeans IDE.
    The name of JRuby, originally put me off - I assumed it was Java.
    It is a terrific IDE, with context-sensitive help (like MS intellisense) and supports IRB and Rake tasks.
    Try it. It's Free.
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

Nikolaev, Mykolayivs'Ka Oblast', Ukraine, Ukraine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkinT View Post
    I have fallen completely in love with the NetBeans IDE.
    The name of JRuby, originally put me off - I assumed it was Java.
    It is a terrific IDE, with context-sensitive help (like MS intellisense) and supports IRB and Rake tasks.
    Try it. It's Free.
    Thanks! I am using NetBeans for quite some time myself, and yes, it's great! However, I've read that David Heinemeier Hansson prefers TextMate, seen him in action with it on YouTube, and decided to look for something similar to TextMate in Windows.
    Any opinion stated here is MHO. | http://design.paliy.net.ua/

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with ParkinT, NetBeans is the best editor I've used (I don't use a Mac). However, it is a bit resource hungry, and therefore RadRails on Eclipse can perform a lot better on some systems. In my experience the easiest way of getting Eclipse with all the right modules for Ruby and/or Rails is via http://www.easyeclipse.org.

I guess what I am saying is the best editors for Ruby on Windows (and Linux for that matter) are Java based. The alternative is a good text editor like TextPad, but that won't give you any of the auto-formatting and input tools that TextMate or NetBeans will.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    E, or TextMate, are not complete IDEs the way Eclipse or NetBeans are. They are light-weight editors, and rely on third-party "bundles" to perform certain tasks. So it's a matter of taste really, if you want fancy code completion and debugging, go for an IDE. If you want a sleeker, more light-weight solution, check out TextMate or E.

I've been using E for some months now, and it's pretty good. It has been lacking some must-have features, like default encoding settings, but that was recently fixed. The php syntax indentation is a bit buggy as well, but that shouldn't affect you if you run rails :P

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Like Aptana studio (free edition). I am more comfortble with it.