SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What program to use for php

I'm on a Mac working with Dreamweaver and do a little php/mysql.
    DW is working in a different way than books about php is showing. When I look at pro scripts found on the internet, like phpBB forum or calendars or whatever, they are programmed with a lot of inc files picking up parts that repeat (which I understand is a great thing instead of repeat that process on sevral pages), but when I look at it, it's really hard to get a feeling of what the final script will look like. If I want to modify the look of a calendar it's really hard to find that part and on screen move stuff just a little.

Dreamweaver is a great WYSIWYG tool when working with web sites, but my question here is; Is there a tool like that when working with php as well or do you guys always work with the code and have things in your head?
    Guess I'm more of a person who like to see stuff on the screen while modifying figures, so I can see what is going on.

So, what kind of program do you recommend me to work in?
    Is there something good for Mac or do I have to do it on a pc (I have one of those as well if there's a better solution there).

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ide

I guess what you are looking for is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment)? I don't think the main issue is about using a PC or a Mac, AFAIK most IDEs have versions for either OS. The main thing is finding the right IDE for your needs. I prefer to hand-code myself, but I have tried Eclipse which should prove to be more than suitable, if not too "bloated" with "extras".

You could also look into Zend studio, and countless others, some free, some not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out Microsoft Expression Web 2 Beta Download - it supports PHP actually. (I have been using a few releases of it already and it seems to be working pretty well.)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zend.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I will also prefer Zend Studio.. That will be helpful to you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TextMate isn't that bad, it's a simple editor but still has many good features
    SUPPORT FOR NEW BLOGGERS - TRY THE Blogging Forum