User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Protecting INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY?

Hi,

What is the best way to protect INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY?

I have an idea for a website. But if I asked developers to help me develop it, don't it risk having the developer copy my idea!??!?!?!?!?!?!

I know this sounds ridiculous. But think about it. Facebook was created AFTER ConnectU. Facebook is NOT proprietary of an idea, and it can easily be mimicked.

I have a GREAT idea, but the technology is NOT proprietary. How do I protect it from CLONES?!?!?!? as soon as I launch my site, or ask developers or VCs to sponsor my IDEA.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you can always have them sign an NDA. That might help in some situations. Talk to an attorney - they might charge you $300 - $1,000 for their time and advice, but then you have a relationship that will be more valuable in the long run.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To some extent it will be very difficult to protect from clones. The best ideas are the ones that are carefully orchestrated, and which develop a large user base. Obviously, you need to find some people you can trust.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your idea is probably not as great or unique as you think. Worry about getting it built rather than getting it stolen.

The facebook example is great--the general concept of social networking was around for decades (see good old fashioned BBS services of bygone eras). Facebook won on execution and strategy, not on any particular technical merit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry wrong thread....

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that IP can be protected to easily. If you take a look at many of the Browser-Based MMORPGs out there, they have very similar features. If IP were easily enforceable, then i guess a lot of them would not be around.