SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The newest version of WordPress - advantages?

Hello everybody!

I need some pieces of advice. Currently I'm using WordPress, version 2.0.4 (yeah, pretty old), while the newest version is 2.3.3. Is anybody using it? If so, could you please tell me the significant differences of the newest version of WP, its possibilities and advantages?

Thank you in advanced.
    Last edited by Paella; Mar 19, 2008 at 06:46.
    If you want to do something right, do it yourself!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jelena's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can find out more at: http://wordpress.org/development/2008/02/wordpress-233/

As first sentence says: WordPress 2.3.3 is an urgent security release.
    -- Jelena --

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't bother that much with the upgrades. Most of the time they clash my plugins or the skins I modded for the site, so I just hate all the hassle. I have stopped upgrading my forum scripts and blogs since I would spend too much time mending what the upgrades usually break. And as for the security: a backup is easier to make than the entire upgrade

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The old versions contain security holes that can expose the entire server and not just your forum. You owe it to anyone else you are sharing the server with to keep software upgraded with security patches. If you don't and someone uses one of the holes in the version you are running to corrupt the entire server then the hosting provider will recover everyone elses site except yours and will delete your script if you attempt to put it back.

You can't backup everyone's site from your server and recovering the backup even if you could takes time. Prevention is always the best solution.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second that. Security is the reason to keep upgrading. My blog was hacked through a WP bug as recent as a 2.2.x version. Keeping it upgraded is really easy... it only gets difficult if you wait many versions between upgrades since more will have changed.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is even an automatic update plugin where all you have to do when WordPress advise that an upgrade is available is to click on a link in that plugin and have it automatically retrieve the new updates and install them for you. Not sure if it runs on antiquated versions of WordPress though so if you are running a really old version such as 2.0 you might need to manually upgrade first.
    Stephen J Chapman

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Paella,
    FYI.
    Wordpress made an announcement just today of the latest and greatest; completely revamped version.
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2.0 branch is still being developed. You can download 2.0.11 here to plug up your security holes.
    http://wordpress.org/download/legacy/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new version 2.5 is well worth upgrading for. There are lots of good extra features. I wouldn't bother upgrading to 2.3.3 though, as it will likely be out of date within the next week or so.

I'm normally loathe to upgrade as the changes are usually minimal and the security patches (often) apply to specific uses of the software such as allowing users to register which I don't allow anyway.

But I will definitely be upgrading all of my sites to the new version as soon as the stable version is released.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    I'm normally loathe to upgrade as the changes are usually minimal and the security patches (often) apply to specific uses of the software such as allowing users to register which I don't allow anyway..
    But it takes less than a minute to install the latest upgrade and then you know that you have all the security patches. Just click on the automatic upgrade button and wait those few seconds for it to tell you the upgrade is complete or run it manually in about seven or eight mouse clicks.

Probably the most useful WordPress plugin that exists. http://techie-buzz.com/wordpress-plu...de-plugin.html
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    But it takes less than a minute to install the latest upgrade and then you know that you have all the security patches. Just click on the automatic upgrade button and wait those few seconds for it to tell you the upgrade is complete or run it manually in about seven or eight mouse clicks.

Probably the most useful WordPress plugin that exists. http://techie-buzz.com/wordpress-plu...de-plugin.html
    That's not the hassle. The hassle is methodically going through to make sure the latest update hasn't broken a bunch of my sites features.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found a whole bunch of extra conditional tags in the WordPress codex ... http://codex.wordpress.org/Conditional_Tags

There are now a bunch of options to include arrays of pages, categories etc. rather than specifying them all individually.

A particularly useful feature I have utilised already is is_front_page(). This can be used to determine if you are on the front page of the site, whereas previously the is_home tag only determined if you were on the 'main' page which was not necessarily the front page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for taking time to answer this question. Your comments have cleared the smoke.

Thanks once again.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #1 reason: SECURITY

Just yesterday one of our customer's blog was hacked because he was running an old version of Wordpress. The perpetrators got in by some kind of comment spam bomb, not even Akismet helped. So keep your scripts up to date with the latest versions, it will keep your site secure, and the server your site is hosted on running smoothly.
    █ DINOHOST.COM Web Hosting Services
    █ Linux Shared & Reseller Accounts Since 2002
    █ DinoThemes.com WordPress Themes

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    A particularly useful feature I have utilised already is is_front_page(). This can be used to determine if you are on the front page of the site, whereas previously the is_home tag only determined if you were on the 'main' page which was not necessarily the front page.
    Yep, I've been waiting for that one too. 2.5 looks very promising. There's still a lot of bug chatter on the mailinglists but hopefully within the next week or so we'll have the final release.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WordPress Version 2.5 is now available ... http://wordpress.org/download/

They also have a fancy new theme for their site and support forum.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes!

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New site new theme both look great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The following comment by Matt Mullenweg caught my attention:
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mullenweg
    Friendlier visual post editor — I’m not sure how to articulate this improvement except to say “it doesn’t mess with your code anymore.” We’re now using version 3.0 of TinyMCE, which means better compatibility with Safari, and we’ve paid particular attention this release to its integration and interaction with complex HTML. It also now has a “no-distractions” mode which is like Writeroom for your browser.
    Hopefully there will be no need for YouTube plugins and whatnot now.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh, got a link, Ryan?

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Ooh, got a link, Ryan?
    a link to that quote?

http://wordpress.org/development/200...ss-25-brecker/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgraded one of my useless personal sites to WP 2.5 yesterday to see what the changes are like and how they'll affect me and my clients.

Overall, I don't like it.

I appreciate that it's more secure and that they've upgraded the tinyMCE so that it doesn't mess with code any more (those are great improvements). I like the simplified tabs in the admin panel (though it's going to take me a while to figure out where everything is), and I'm sure I'll like the customization that can be done to the dashboard once I take the time to play with that part.

However....

I don't like the new layout of the "write" screens. Almost everything is in one long column, making it necessary to scroll up and down a lot more.

The biggest issue for me, however, is how images are now handled. The old browse/upload section is completely gone. What they've replaced it with is far less intuitive, and far more complicated. It's going to be a lot harder to explain to my non-tech-savvy customers how to use this feature. Heck, after spending about an hour with it, I'm still not sure if I know how to use it. There are all sorts of buttons and options that appear to do nothing (selecting alignment in the upload pop-up, for example throws a bunch of code into the mix, but doesn't actually align the image). It mixes single uploads with "gallery" uploads, further confusing the process.

Half the upgrades made 2.5 a cleaner and more flexible tool, the other half made it more confusing and complicated.

In my opinion, the 2nd half far out-weighs the first.

I know I'm going to have to learn how to use the new features, and learn how to teach others to use them, but I am so dreading what's going to happen when I'm finally forced to upgrade existing clients; it's going to be an absolute nightmare.
    M Blaze Miskulin
    President
    Geek Niche Web Hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the answers, guys

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The WordPress 2.5 is fantastic. The new interface looks very nice!
    Killer Logo Design --> www.logosamurai.com

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The new page layouts for the admin will take a while to get used to.

The automatic upgrade option for all the plugins will make keeping those up to date much easier.
    Stephen J Chapman