SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

godaddly vs verisign

Just got this interesting email from godaddy, I'm sure any of you who have used godaddy service have gotten this email also, it's fun to read:

Please be aware that Verisign, Inc. (formerly Network Solutions) is sending via the US Mail, what we believe to be deceptive and predatory domain expiration notices.

The purpose behind these notices is to get the unsuspecting customer to transfer to and renew their domain name(s) with Verisign Inc. at significantly higher prices.

The domain expiration notices are designed so that it is not obvious that the notices are from Verisign, Inc. as opposed to Go Daddy Software. To see a copy of one of these deceptive expiration notices, please go to the following URL: http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/privat...isplay=letter.

Those customers who fall prey to the Verisign, Inc. scheme will have their domain name(s) renewed at a price more than 3 times higher than would be the case if they renewed with Go Daddy Software.

For a .com, .net or .org domain name renewal, the victimized customer would pay $29.00 to Verisign, Inc. instead of the $8.95 charged by Go Daddy Software.

Those customers who fall prey to this scheme, will not receive any better service or value. They will however be tricked out of $20.05 per domain name.

Renewal notices from Go Daddy Software are sent via email, and always mention the Go Daddy name. You can be sure that any communications you receive concerning your domain name that do not explicitly and obviously display the Go Daddy name are not from Go Daddy Software.

If you believe, as we do, that this practice of Verisign Inc. is misleading, predatory and improper, we invite you to make your feelings known by writing to ICANN (who is the governing body for all Registrar's and Registries) and to Verisign Registry. Email links for both are provided below.

Sincerely,

Bob Parsons, President
    Go Daddy Software, Inc.

ICANN Registrar Complaint Form (hosted at InterNIC)
    http://www.internic.net/cgi/registra...lem-report.cgi

VeriSign Registry Customer Service
    info@verisign-grs.com
    Phone: 703-948-3200

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That seems pretty suspicious to me. It looks like Godaddy is trying to secure their customer base.

But I wouldn't be suprised if Verisign was mailing out letters like that. Never heard of anybody getting one though, and I have a lot of clients with Versign domain names.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Verisign is definately sending these out. They are not just targetting GoDaddy customers either. My customers are complaining of these letters as well.

-t
    myOstrich Internet
    OpenSRS Domain Registration, Digital Certificates
    Website Design, Hosted Email and now Blogware!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats correct...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Verisign guy has dodged the question of course.

-t
    myOstrich Internet

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup just got a couple of those misleading pseudo-invoices from Verisign on Friday for names registered with another company. Apparently Verisign is abusing the WHOIS database in order to send misleading invoices by mail to anybody with a domain name about to expire. They are not just going after GoDaddy because the invoices I got were for names registered with another company. With Verisign it is just another case of the wolf watching the chicken coop. Very unethical practices in my opinion.
    Free Scott Speicher Help bring home our last remaining POW/MIA from the Gulf War. Please sign the petition.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've gotten 3 notices from Verisign on GoDaddy-registered domains including livingpages.net. I have already complained to ICANN too. It's completely legitimate. Completely unethical, but completely legal.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually it appears that the US Postal Service does not consider this legal at all.

We are recommending that our client file a Mail Fraud report for False Billing.

There are specific guidelines for sending out these types of mailings, and Verisign does not appear to be complying with them. There are actual font size and location to $$$ requirements. You apparently cannot simply put a disclaimer somewhere in small print that states you are authorizing a domain transfer and be considered legal.

If you are really interested in stopping this practice, please stop by the US Postal service website or your local post office and consider filing a mail fraud report - should you receive one of these "false billing" invoices.

-t
    myOstrich Internet

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thewitt,

Can you refer me to exactly what US Postal Service regulation makes this legal. It's not that I don't believe you but I don't want to go the Post Office not knowing what I'm talking about.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been posted both to the OpenSRS mailing list and on Slashdot. I don't claim to have done the initial research to uncover these links, however I have read them in detail, and have sent them to my affected customers.

Here is a link for the official USPS regulations for mail that reasonably could be considered a bill, invoice, or statement of account due, but is in fact a solicitation for an order:

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm/c031.htm

In short - in case you don't want to follow the link - the requirement is that the following phrase must appear in at least thirty point capital letters on the face of the notice:

"THIS IS NOT A BILL. THIS IS A SOLICITATION. YOU ARE UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO PAY THE AMOUNT STATED ABOVE UNLESS YOU ACCEPT THIS OFFER."

They include an image of what this should look like and there is nothing resembling the small print on the back of the page that Verisign and others are using.

The Verisign and Domain Registry of America/Canada letters appear not to pass this test by any stretch of the imagination, and are therefore not legal - at least in my opinion and indeed in the opinion of my attorney.

Online Mail Fraud reports can be made at:

http://www.usps.com/websites/depart/...dComplaint.htm

I hope this is enough to convice the skeptical among you that this is NOT a legal practice, and if you receive one of these sent via US Mail, you should absolutely report it to the US Postal Service.

I continue to hear rumors of a possible class action suit as well. If that should surface, I'll be sure to post details here.

-t
    myOstrich Internet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry guys, but with this scam, Australia leads the way (I'm embarrassed to report)!

http://www.auda.org.au/about/news/2001012301.html

In excess of 1 year ago, a company called 'Internet Registrations Australia' were sending out (what looked very much like) 'renewal' notices to lots of .com.au domain name owners, including my clients. I, and lots of people like me, were furious at this blatant deceipt.

I've no problem with honest competition, but not when my clients are mailed solicitations disguised as official bills which look like they need paying.

One of my clients - who is also a close personal friend of mine - failed to read my emailed advisory on the subject and was duped into paying it. She paid more than I would have charged her for the renewal, and her domain name was transferred to the account of Internet Registrations Australia.

The only saving grace was that when I pointed out she'd been duped, she phoned Internet Registrations Australia to complain, and without any problems got a refund and the domain name was returned to my account.

I'm afraid to be the bringer of bad news, but I predict that we're going to see a LOT more bad behaviour from domain name registrars in the future. Why? Easy. Because the domain name registration industry has matured, and is actually in (short term) decline right now with more domain names expiring than are being registered. In any industry, when the going's good, even bad companies make money. When the market matures, only the 'good' or the unscrupulous (in the short term) - survive.

The questions domain name registrars are desperately asking themselves right now in the face of a shrinking market and cut-throat competition are

A - How do we hang on to our existing client base?
    B - How do we tempt clients of our competitors to jump ship to us?

IF YOU'RE AN ETHICAL COMPANY YOUR ANSWERS ARE

A - Offer fantastic service at a great price
    B - Offer fantastic service at a great price

IF YOU'RE A COMPANY WITHOUT ETHICS YOUR ANSWERS ARE

A - Make it as hard as possible to leave. (eg. a company whose name ends in NIC and starts in Total, but watch out because they're now into the business of gagging those, including SitePoint (can I say that?), who would warn others of this)
    B - Send out domain renewal advice letters that look like bills to the customers of your competitors. (eg. Verisign).

Enjoy the show. It's going to get nastier.
    Web Design Perth Melbourne .:. Itomic Business Website Solutions
    Drupal Experts .:. Drupalise

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This scam has been going on for years around the globe. What's different this time is who is doing it. Not some fly-by-night organization, but VeriSign, the #1 player in the business.

If they can do it, it gives the green light for all other ICANN registrar's to do it. In fact, some would argue they must do it to compete with VeriSign.

What a sad world
    Lee Hodgson - Author of the 6.30 Domain Goldrush Articles
    Your Personal Domain Name Consultant
    Domain Name Registration Made Easy