User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my site.

Let me know what you think about my site.
    Ultimately what I want to do is have a competitive contest. Also I'd like to award prizes, so I am looking for sponsors. Any ideas on how to get sponsors involved?

www.iqtest4fun.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The colors throw the site off. They don't match and it strains my eyes. You could do with a new logo as well. Your content seems to need more orginization.

-jd-

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colors

I would say change up the colors on the site, having lime green, and blue rocks don't go together, and I have no style. Your buttons are I guess steel, which does not go with the rock theme in the background. Try to keep your site branded have a feel, if it is a trivia site what theme should it have, last thing I think of is rocks. Lose the between page effects, it just gets annoying after the 1st page. Also the scrolling text giving instructions is frustrating since I can read faster it is just a waste of time waiting for the words to appear.

Maybe allow 1 question to be answered without having to join, I have no intention to give my e-mail address out if you don't have a privacy policy or anything stating that my e-mail and personal information will not be used for spam.

Just some thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The colour make my eyes feel malease, as for the sponsor, as your site is about test, you can contact some psychological consultation websites, let them sponsor you, in return, you can publish some psychological test for them.
    Create transactions & Earn Reputation: http://www.vbuddy.com/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with everyone here, the colour green on your page is just to strong. I would suggest a blue as "Blue is a mentally-relaxing colour", I would also keep the javascript floating across the screen static as I found it eye catching when attempting the question.

The main concern is the colours though, play around with a few other shades.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a fan of numbers-for-words in domains.

I couldn't see how to submit my answers.

It's a good concept, I like the "new questions every day" aspect for stickieness. The site functionally is quite good (aside for the apparently non-existent submit button) in as much that most of the page is the questions and it's quickly obvious what you should do.

Where do you get the questions from? Any copyright issues?

The site needs a little tidying. You've got a picture/video of a cat. It's a distraction. Concentrate on the functionality of the site first and get people using it before you think about ads.

The colour scheme is poor, as is the stone effect background. These are details, don't worry too much about them. Just use a plain background colour, if any at all.

I think it's got potential but you must concentrate on the service and not the trimmings which is what you will get a lot of feedback about.

How to attract sponsors? Good question, we all want them!!! Again, get it working first. I reckon people will use it for the fun of it, you can put the winner's name on the site just for the glory, with no prize! When it's busy you can put an ad on the site, asking for sponsors.

Best wishes.
    Charles Sweeney
    FormToEmail.com

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a whole bunch of irrelevant things going on. Most noticeably is the blue stone background which is a distraction to me. The cat picture, is that something personal? Better keep it to an "about" page, then. The paint splatters for the IQ Test logo, are they like the blots for a personality test? Otherwise I don't know how they relate to puzzles and the mind.

I agree with everyone on the garish colors. You have a bright green gradient and red, scrolling text. Quite distracting for a site that deals with puzzles, don't you think? I'm not certain if this is your first website but it does look like you could research more into color schemes and what works.

I like your "puzzle question of the day" idea. It's something that would work well as a blog, and maybe for this site I suggest using a blogging system. Not to mention it would make it easier to create a nice looking layout for a site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, You could really improve your site's colours - the green and the background image are not really user friendly!

The bright green distracts you from the site content which is the most important . Best thing to do is tone the site down. Visit colourlovers.com and get some inspiration.

Remove the scrolling text above as ccRicers said above remove the scolling text & maybe run the site on a blog using wordpress maybe. That way you can have RSS setup and will be able to offer your users an rss feed which would be a ncice feature for a site like yours....
    Web Design Agency - Delivering web solutions since 1994.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coding Talent

I agree with everyone that the colour on your page is not well choosen. But i do not see green... rather a purple.

Beside the coloring i suggest a allover reconstructing of the layout to keep the site more calm and then reconsider a more elaborate navigational structure.

The use of css without taking advantage to make the fonts dynamic for better accessibility is sad. The font-sizes could be harmonised. Italic never works well on a screen. The idea behind of - the content is great fun.
    MAJA
    ---------------------------------------
    http://www.silver-garden-jewelry.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello iqtest for fun
    I will not critique your purple. But your menu buttons with its mouseover effects.
    I do not like it. Other point of my critique will include your green and background picture on your site depth. I was talk about this:
    http://www.iqtest4fun.com/feb11.html
    I will advise you to change but decisions is yours
    Good luck
    How to boost your site trafic ?
    Page rss reader - forex charts -

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The color is terrible. If you are going to have some center content with a huge margin on either side, you might as well put some background on the body so the content stands out from the background of the body. Perhaps a background image.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It reminds me of geocities!

Now I am going to sound like a ***** with my comments but if you follow them and everyone elses, trust me, your site will be so much better for it.

1. Dont put your email in the HTML or you will get mega-spam - use a contact form where your email isn't public.

2. Revise the gnawly colourscheme, it's going to do peoples heads in. Choose something a little more neuteral and ditch the "table" look, see how sitepoint approaches design, something like that if your not an artist. Also consistancy, no colour/bg image changes like you do.

3. Revise the graphics, they just look so amateurish; knocked up by someone on a Sunday afternoon. If your not graphically minded then use some stock images or even a template for something like this because it's back button material.

4. Your headers too busy, why is privacy policy up there, put it in the footer.

5. Get rid of the "bookmark us" link, if someone wants to bookmark you they will. Certain "features" just cry "I want to fill space" or "show that I know how", that is one of them.

The type of people who use this type of site are teenagers, 90% of teenagers know how to add a site to their favourites - most know how to actually make sites (my neices in secondary school have web design lessons as part of the curriculum)

6. Footer links aren't links, what are they there for?

7. Your homepage IQ test - no method to submit - oh no its a question sample - just noticed. Change how you present it because I thought your site was broken. Remember, people tend to dive in, I did and made a misconception (hence why I didn't remove this).

8. That page transition effect is also in the list of "because I couldn't think of anything better to do" or "I want to show off", its annoying - get rid of it.

9. No need for the date on the site, its not a news site - again, why is it just floating there. Its completely random.

10. Clicked solutions and dont really get it - its a bit uninformative, why are you formatting the questions as date added; these won't mean anything to anyone unless they are a vigourous fan who come every day - 99% won't be, 99% will be one shots. Just list them else it makes no sense.

plus your side menu changed.

11. On solutions, why is the white box a big image with the headers embedded?

12. The logo is terrible, if you cant make a good one, buy a template monster one and adapt it. At least it will look half decent.

Now although I probably come across like an *** in my comments, these are the things that your visitors are probably going to think, which wont go down well for your sites popularity.

Also, you want sponsors to get involved; you need high traffic and a great website - this wont cut it by any standard. To get sponsors involved you will need to scrap the whole thing and start again. Look at the big "test" orientated sites out there - this will not compete with those on any level, so no valuable sponsor will even look at you when they can sponsor one of the bigger, better sites.
    FIZIX - Full Service Digital Agency - Engaging websites, apps and games.
    Follow us @FIZIXAgency

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the site looks a bit dated, especially the menu buttons. I would actually browse some template sites for ideas on design or like the reviewer above suggested, check out the popular test sites for inspiration.

Good Luck

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you to use some CMS (Content Management System). It is easier to add new content, to change, you name it...

Start here

My suggestion is Joomla...

Cheers and good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont like the layout.. but the content rocks!..i say u got a winner here...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes.. crappy layout but idea is good.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

The color seems little bit odd and buttons are also outdated. I think you could save more space for the content by reducing the frame sizes and you can post different contextual content to attract different types of audience, like posting dialy cartoon etc or cartoons on numbers. Is'nt good to have a simple form for drop a line link so that is easy for user to just type it and submit. It looks like both login and signup forms are not completed yet as the form is on completely on white page.

Based on the above comments, i would really recommend any latest CMS. You will get very nice themes and you can customize it very nicely.

Goodluck,
    RK

SitePoint Enthusiast jawzishere's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I landed at your page I immediately though unprofessional and very amateur. It has the feel of site someone would make in very early on in their HTML career. It just a very basic site. Even a premade template could have a more professional feel to it.

The one thing that turns me off the most is probably the fact that the bar down the left side is so wide. Those two big pictures you have are completely unnecessary too. What does the 'Pic of the day' have to do with your site and how does it add quality to it? I think it needs to be removed same with the pic more towards the bottom. They simply detract from your site. Remove those pics and make the bar half the size or if you must keep the pics make them smaller. Or even if you moved them to the right side it would just feel better.
    Looking To Buy A Website And Flip It For Cash?
    Trying To Sell A Website For Some Quick Money?
    Check Out BuyEstablishedWebsites.com To
    Buy and Sell Websites. Plus A Forum
    For Discussion.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK fellas. I tried to listen to everybody here while I did a major overhaul on my site. What do you think now? Hit me please.

www.iqtest4fun.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "Not a member" written in blue is really difficult to read.

I don't like the background color, it's too striking for me!

And there is an issue with the header under FF 2.0.0.11. I have attached a screen shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you want to do something right, do it yourself!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks bad still, sorry. Maybe you should get someone who knows a bit about colors to handle the color scheme?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the site feels a bit dated, but thats something that can be fixed. The concept of your site is well chosen, I like the idea of doing an online IQ test.
    Try to find someone involved in games or sudoku and have them sponsor your site. It's the idea that will make the money, a slick looking site with no idea backing it, still makes zero money. And like I said, your idea is good, find someone who can help you with the site design and colours, success!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there is not enough text. The more content, the better.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    consider updating ur site with fresh and unique text and stuff
    Last edited by web67; Apr 15, 2008 at 19:14.
    Keep Up to date about everthing Website Flipping
    Find out how to same thousands on your Mortgage Broker fees.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About this site

I would put some sort of About This Site in the top navigation bar or on the top of the main content area to let visitors quickly know what the site is about. I think the purpose of the site is to have visitors answer IQ questions and whoever gets the highest score wins a prize? I'm still not quite sure what the site is about and a visitor should be able to get that within a few seconds of landing on the page. Good luck!