SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Export SQL Server without server access?

I can access a SQL server through another server... but only through the web site... ASP or PHP. I'm not able to get remote desktop or other access to the server, so this is all I've got to work with.

How can I export the schema and data from the database through ASP or PHP or something similar?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have .NET support, you might want to check out the Sql Server Hosting Toolkit.

Or you might just want to ask the hosts nicely for a backup.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99 View Post
    If you have .NET support, you might want to check out the Sql Server Hosting Toolkit.

Or you might just want to ask the hosts nicely for a backup.
    In order to use that, I'd need access to the server to install it, no?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will need to have some sort of access, though I think you can use the database publishing wizard to extract the DB using an ASP.NET application.

Honestly, your best bet is to just get a backup. It will be alot quicker and easier and more reliable than attempting to gin something up yourself.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99 View Post
    You will need to have some sort of access, though I think you can use the database publishing wizard to extract the DB using an ASP.NET application.

Honestly, your best bet is to just get a backup. It will be alot quicker and easier and more reliable than attempting to gin something up yourself.
    Yes, that would be best... but the person who owns the server is completely unresponsive.

What I wound up doing was writing an ASP page that loops through all the tables, pulls the definition and the data and displays it in a format that I could use to then re-create the whole database on another server. It was kind of messy but it got the job done.

Thanks for the help.