SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

using transaction safe tables

I'm no computer guru and I'm trying to learn all this stuff.

I installed mysql-3.23.33 and I read I can use transaction tables if I specify the type of table at creation time,CREATE TABLE TYPE {BDB}.

Is there any way to varify that this table is a transaction table after I create it.

The reason I ask is because I find the documentation very unclear on this.In one statement they claim all 3.23 versions have transaction table support then in another article it seems to suggest its a later release.

Thanks for any help.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from the MySQL docs
    Support for BDB tables is included in the MySQL source distribution starting from Version 3.23.34 and is activated in the MySQL-Max binary.
    if you're using 3.23.33 then you don't have BDB support...

you either need to get the -max binary or if your compiling from source, you need to configure MySQL with the --with-berkeley-db option

also, use SHOW TABLE STATUS to determine the table type...

you should try using InnoDB too...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will have to excuse my ignorance here.

If I download the -MAX binary that is going to mean I have to re-install MySQL over my existing installation correct ??

You wouldn't believe the problems I had installing PHP,Apache,MySQL,I'm not looking forward to this.I'm new to computers and I'm finding it pretty darn hard understanding all this technical stuff and everyone takes it for granted you know "X" amount,does no-one understand the term "newbie".

Thanks for your reply,you just wouldnt understand my frustration sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Motivated
    You wouldn't believe the problems I had installing PHP,Apache,MySQL,I'm not looking forward to this.I'm new to computers and I'm finding it pretty darn hard understanding all this technical stuff and everyone takes it for granted you know "X" amount,does no-one understand the term "newbie".

Thanks for your reply,you just wouldnt understand my frustration sometimes.
    lol so did i... and i guess everyone knows what it's like being a newbie cos that's where we all started out ... i'm a n00b myself and there's just so much technical stuff to know which i unfortunately don't

and yes you do need to re-install MySQL if you want the -max version... but unless you're running your own server i don't see how you can use the transaction-safe tables on your hosted site (unless you can influence them to install the BDB component)... of course maybe you just want to use them for development and testing purposes...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point !

I'm just running MySQL on my own box to learn but I never thought of a host not having transaction safe tables available.

You have made me reconsider seeing what I can do within standard tables first instead of rushing off to transaction tables.

Many thanks

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once MySQL 4 is out there will be "out of the box" support for more advanced features, such as transactions. I imagine most hosts will upgrade once it is released as they wont have to do extra work for more advanced features

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah can't wait for version 4 to come out

in the meantime, if your host offers PostgreSQL you can use that... it supports transactions... if you do there're some good tutorials at Webmasterbase... and the transition from MySQL is not all that difficult