SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I upload files in my local MySQL database to my web host's server?

I have a hatchling account with Hostgator since the past 2 months. This is my first experience with a web host. I am on a learning curve and need to learn a few more things before I offer to make professional websites for anybody.

Sometime back, I had made a website using php, photoshop, html and css and have uploaded it to the server. My site is working fine.

Now I wanted to make a site containing a photogallery, where my photos will be stored in a database.

Actually, I have tried doing that on my local server and have a mysql database containing a few photos which I can see, when I call my php script on my local server. I tried making a dynamic photogallery where the client can upload or delete photos. I succeeded in having a database containing some pictures. I have written php scripts whereby I can upload or delete the photos myself.

Now, I wish to make a site incorporating what I have learnt and upload it to my webhost's server.

Normally, for uploading files to my web host's server, I go to my FTP client and after connecting the my host, I upload my files to the public_html folder.

What is the procedure for uploading files onto a MySQL database provided by the server?

I have a database containing the categories of pictures and some pictures in each category. I read in a book that if my web host provides PHP and MySQL, I would just need to use the empty database provided by my host and insert the photos into my web host's database.

What I want to do is this: I will create the database on my local server and upload photos there using the php page that I have made for uploading the photos. After I finish making all my pages (including my home page and all the other pages), I will have a working site on my local server. But what I need to know is that if I need to have the site running om my web host's server, will I have to use the database of my web host and do my work of uploading the photos all over again?

While working with databases, is it necessary to work directly with the web host's server instead of first doing the work on my local server, testing it and then uploading everything to my web host's server?

While naming my database, do I need to have a name given by my web host?

reads the ********* Crier silver trophybronze trophy longneck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    use the mysqldump program on your local server to export the database to a file. then go in to our host's control panel and find the link to phpmyadmin. update the file there on the SQL screen.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sorry but I seem to need some further help

For some reason, I am not able to open the mysql dump program on my local server. I am trying to find out why. When I click on mysqldump, a mysql screen flashes on the monitor and then disappears.

I looked at my host's control panel. I found a datastore folder when I opened the cpanel. But when I open it, I do not find a sql screen.

I found these in the datastore:

quote_-v
    ftp_LISTSTORE_0
    apache_LISTSUBDOM
    apache_LISTMULTIPA
    apache_GETDOMAINI
    _use_sbin_mysald-v
    _usr_local_apache_bi
    _usr_bin_perl_-v
    _sbin_ifconfig_-a
    How do I go about the step below? Where will I find the link to the phpmyadmin?

find the link to phpmyadmin. update the file there on the SQL screen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mysqldump is a command line program. you can't just double-click it. i suggest that you follow the examples in the mysql manual for using mysqldump.

as for phpmyadmin, i don't know how to access it at your particular host. have you looked through their documentation to see how you're supposed to administer you mysql databases?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, longneck.

Actually, I did not double click mysqldump. I right clicked clicked on the option, Run. Then I gave my administrator name and password. Then a mysql screen flashes and disappears.

I have just posted a thread in my web host's forum ragarding the phpmyadmin and am awaiting a reply.

But I am still concerned about my lack of knowledge about such a basic step as to just use the mysqldump program. I am really sorry if I am being too dumb in my query.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you ever used a command line or a shell? 'cause mysqldump is a command line program.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually,I was going to the mysql, then to bin and then trying to open mysqldump. When I went to the dos command prompt screen, I am able to go to mysqldump.

Thanks a lot for your help.