SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy I need methodology help! experienced advice please!

I am a web developer that has recently (less than a year ago) ventured off into my own development business.

I need to seriously revamp the process I follow from the point of receiving a lead to the point of commencement of development. - my has several perpetually frustrating flaws and time killers.

I am looking experienced advice or direction to a resource that could help me to develop a business smart methodology for the process of taking web developement leads to the point of project development. - like a ten point guide or something that is geared toward preventing project derailment before the train leaves the station

for example: get call, ask questions, prepare mockup design, get design approval, prepare budget, prepare contract, get deposit, commence development. - actually this has been my method...and it hasn't not worked very well

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

What do you think of the Unified Process for example, or Extreme Programming. Do none of these processes fit your needs ?

Chris
    www.ghrsoftware.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will study up on these processes...thanks for the direction

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say it depends somewhat on the size of the projets you're taking. If they are rather small (less than 40 days let's say), I think XP (Extreme Programming) could be a nice choice. In this case, basically, you need to explain to your clients that you're going to give them best possible value for their money, but that you can't exactly tell them what that is. It's them who'll adjust their priorities and objetives according to feedback on alpha versions during the development process. No Big Upfront Thinking in this process...

Chris

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you are doing too much work before getting a deposit. I think it's supposed to be more like this;
    get call, ask questions, prepare contract, prepare budget, get deposit, prepare mockup design, get design approval, commence development

Quote Originally Posted by technocharged View Post
    for example: get call, ask questions, prepare mockup design, get design approval, prepare budget, prepare contract, get deposit, commence development. - actually this has been my method...and it hasn't not worked very well

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that sounds more effective...although, having ventured out on my own fairly recently I have simply feared losing potentially significant and much needed clients for requiring a contract/deposit before providing an acceptable mockup - and this is the primary thing that hasn't worked for me.

SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by technocharged View Post
    ...for example: get call, ask questions, prepare mockup design, get design approval, prepare budget, prepare contract, get deposit, commence development. - actually this has been my method...and it hasn't not worked very well
    "prepare contract" SHOULD BE ALMOST FIRST!!!

RJ

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2R View Post
    Hi,

What do you think of the Unified Process for example, or Extreme Programming. Do none of these processes fit your needs ?

Chris
    www.ghrsoftware.com
    I know IBM RUP (Rational Unified Process) rather well as I'm using it for Corporate World, I can't see the relation between this process and the one he's asking for Maybe I'm wrong but he's rather asking for a business process rather than a (technical) development process.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

When I see this : "for example: get call, ask questions, prepare mockup design, get design approval, prepare budget, prepare contract, get deposit, commence development"

I find it looks a little like a lightweight Unified Process Inception phase. The Inception phase should mainly establish a Vision, a Scope, an overlal plan/budget and sometimes a prototype.

A heavyweight Inception phase would be far out, but I think a lightweight one could be useful. It depends how big the project is, but the Unified Process can suite most projects (from very Agile to very Predictive).

Chris

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2R View Post
    Hi,

When I see this : "for example: get call, ask questions, prepare mockup design, get design approval, prepare budget, prepare contract, get deposit, commence development"

I find it looks a little like a lightweight Unified Process Inception phase. The Inception phase should mainly establish a Vision, a Scope, an overlal plan/budget and sometimes a prototype.

A heavyweight Inception phase would be far out, but I think a lightweight one could be useful. It depends how big the project is, but the Unified Process can suite most projects (from very Agile to very Predictive).

Chris
    You're right about the inception phase but the problem with RUP is that it is more a Methodology Framework than a Method per se: they tell the "What" and not the "How". And as usual the problem practically is the "How" that's why experiences still count and managers who think that introducing such methodology will help with a novice team are completely naïve

Also the inception phase implicitely supposes an input from an outer Business Process because once again RUP is mainly software architecture oriented much more than Extreme Programming. And RUP is Big Enterprise Oriented. It's such a heavy process that they have decided to create OpenUP a lighter version that is more "agile".