SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Need advice on extremely annoying situation

I recently entered into an email conversation with a guy who asked for a dedicated server advice on my blog. Turns out the guy was very happy to take all my advice since his site was down completely and then sign up with one of my recommendation without giving me credit. When I asked him whether he signed up under my link this was his reply:

Oh sorry, haven't used the links. I never thought it was a referral link.
    Hehehe. I typed the URL on my address bar. Sorry again

Best Regards,
    In my understanding I should still be paid commission for this. The guy was completely unaware of the company before I introduced him to them, and I do so as an affiliate of that company. I contacted said company and the response to a certain degree made me think they may try to avoid parting with their commission. I know this guy's main site and the sales person said. "Hmm not sure if this is the site he signed up under because I can find that site on our servers but I am not sure if he came in via a reseller?" How the hell would that happen, there's no chance in hell that guy would by accident put it on a reseller's site if he told me that he signed up with the host itself. Also how come the sales guy can not exactly confirm the status of the site i.e. where it is hosted who put it there, who's paying for it, when that person signed up etc.?" All of those questions should be very easy for them to answer. I gave them the bloody guy's name?! What more do they want?

Any thoughts on this? I think the host is giving me the run around. They are trying it in a half subtle way but I am close to naming and shaming if they don't get their act together.
    Cheap web hosting directory listing the cheapest web hosting

Submit articles to an article directory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds sketchy to me... ?

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would you like to elaborate on what in there needs further detail?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hostpitable View Post
    would you like to elaborate on what in there needs further detail?
    Sounds fishy. Like someone may not be telling you everything, or giving you what you feel you deserve. Sounds Sketchy.

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thought so at first. Found out the kid is clueless. He went straight to the site without clicking my link (Annoying mistake number one). Then he liked the site so googles for reviews and clicks through another aff's links (annoying action number two). So I'm out of my commission. Not so angry anymore. At first I thought the guy did it on purpose but it turns out he's just an idiot. That's fine with me.

Just to reiterate, I'm not evil and call everybody an idiot because they don't sign up through me but if you read above quote it would make you think that there was some ill intent. Turns out there wasn't.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, people do have a right to type in the address if they want. I've done it, and I have also clicked on links. I do both.

Did you ask him to give you credit???

And how is this "company" suppose to know if you sent him to them?

Unless I am missing something here, and I apologze in advance if I have, you should give it a rest.

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I did ask him to give me credit and secondly I did send a bunch of emails back and forth. I'm sitting over a tight deadline at the moment so don't have that much spare time to give people hosting advice on a one on one basis so if I do I would appreciate if they gave me credit. If you did read above posts you would have seen that he ended up signing up under someone else accidentally which is also slightly annoying. I do all the legwork he googles them and then on the last meter of the race somebody else bags the commission.

And how is this "company" suppose to know if you sent him to them?
    I gave them his name and the domain he signed up under. Turns out he used another account and credit card because he isn't 18 yet so I was told by the host that he had signed up under somebody else etc. As I also pointed out above I did let it go because I don't think ill intent was involved and he just didn't know what I was on about.

You know, people do have a right to type in the address if they want. I've done it, and I have also clicked on links. I do both.
    I do both as well. However if someone takes the time to really pick something that provides me with a more hassle free service than I would have otherwise gotten I would give them credit. Anyways I don't really care since the money is not exactly killing me it was more about the time I wasted and what I had initially perceived as the guy laughing in my face about it - which wasn't the case apparently.