SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Integrating WP into Existing Website

I've been told that WP is one of the easiest blogging apps to set up. I was told that i didn't really need to know PHP to set up WP. I bought a book on how to use WP because online help was just a lot of reading and getting no where.

Now that I've bought a book, I find you DO ACTUALLY HAVE TO UNDERSTAND what the CODE IS DOING to integrate it into the website. At least taht is my experience so far.

I was told i could create my website and then integrate it with WP or learn WP first, it didn't matter which order. Now i have a website with NO idea how to integrate with WP. I don't know if i should just use a blog on a few pages of the website or use WP as a CMS. I would like to use WP as a CMS but I get teh feeling it will be a lot of work considering i can't get anywhere anyway. I'm quite frustrated as I'm sure you can tell.

Any ideas or suggestions? I was told KIDS could do this stuff. Why am i stumbling?

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

I would agree WP is pretty simple to use with no PHP skills, (i have none or next to it) the more skills you have the easier it is going to be though.

As far as making your layout work as a theme you are going to have to understand HTML/CSS and the basic structure of a web page.

Hard to tell you how to do it as I have no idea what your theme looks like but if you post more info I will be glad to help.

If all else fails you can always hire someone to make the theme for you.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is what my website looks like at teh moment

http://www.wingfling.org/testing/index.htm

HEre is my current wordpress location
    http://www.wingfling.org/wordpress/

The current theme looks nothing like my current website.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WordPress is extremely easy to set up, and you don't need to know PHP. So, what you were told was 100% accurate.

However, to seamlessly incorporate WordPress into a full website, that's a different story. You still don't necesarrily need to learn PHP, but you will need a solid technical aptitude and good understanding of web design. But, it can be done, once you overcome the learning curve.

There's no "easy" way to do it though. You need to either dig in, get your hands dirty and learn the basic concepts of the PHP code (you can learn a lot from the existing code), and a thorough understanding of the theme/template system. It will take time, but it's doable.

Alternately, you'll need to pay someone that already has those skills.
    "Hi, my name is Tom, and I'm a web hosting addict..."
    A few of my most recent addictions include:
    Blog About Nothing~Death Etc.~Sebral~Café Sherrie~Champ Money

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was bad advice for someone who does not know how to create a theme from scratch. Why build with one set of tools, then rebuild with another?

First, do you want 3 columns like you have in your existing site? If yes, choose a 3 column theme.
    Then build all your pages in Wordpress, when that is complete, delete the old html pages.

If you aren't a designer/developer, and you need it done right, hire someone to build it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobpressures View Post
    I was told i could create my website and then integrate it with WP or learn WP first, it didn't matter which order. Now i have a website with NO idea how to integrate with WP. I don't know if i should just use a blog on a few pages of the website or use WP as a CMS. I would like to use WP as a CMS but I get teh feeling it will be a lot of work considering i can't get anywhere anyway. I'm quite frustrated as I'm sure you can tell.

Any ideas or suggestions? I was told KIDS could do this stuff. Why am i stumbling?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaethy View Post
    That was bad advice for someone who does not know how to create a theme from scratch. Why build with one set of tools, then rebuild with another?
    That makes no sense. The OP already has an existing website, into which they want to incorporate a blog. Why would they want to redesign the entire website?

I fail to see the point in reinventing the wheel.
    "Hi, my name is Tom, and I'm a web hosting addict..."
    A few of my most recent addictions include:
    Blog About Nothing~Death Etc.~Sebral~Café Sherrie~Champ Money

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobpressures View Post
    I was told KIDS could do this stuff. Why am i stumbling?
    That's what people say when they forgot they had hard time learning the stuffs at the beginning

My suggestion is to pay someone to do the stuff for you if you can afford of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need zero PHP skills to integrate your current site with WordPress. I do know a little PHP now, but I picked all that up after doing a few WordPress themes.

Literally all you need to do is shove the wrapper HTML from your existing site into the WordPress theme and shunt a little bit of the PHP around (not modifiying it, just moving it) and presto you should have a theme. It may take a while breaking and fixing things, but it's definitely doable. It could get a little tricky when it comes to archives, categories etc. but the basic gist of getting the wrapper in place really shouldn't take too much effort.

I find the easiest way to go about theming is to grab the default theme and remove all the extraneous HTML which you don't need to use, but leave all the gobbledy goop PHP that you presumably don't understand. Track down the stylesheet PHP script, remove that and replace it with the one from your existing site. Then you have a bare bones site with almost no styling and HTML but all of the text in place. Then start building up the HTML from there. By viewing the source and comparing the snippets of HTML, you can track down the source of the bits of PHP generated text and code around it accordingly.

Hopefully that made some sense!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey JacobPressures

You may want to check out our newly released WP Themer Kit. It works best when you're building a theme from scratch, but it should work pretty well in this scenario too.

I would use blank Html file D and just put in your css code and images, you'll see what I mean when you get the files. Then you can tweak and change the css until you're happy with the results. You can learn more at the site, check my sig for the link and don't be afraid to ask questions if you have any.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll check it out, sitesbycal.
    Sounds pretty good

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember figuring things out myself when I was learning to theme Wordpress. Basically I found out, that I should leave the PHP as it is and change the HTML around the code and swap the theme CSS files to my own to get a first, rough version of the site.

It's quite sweet when you first see your own theme wrapped around WP. Even if everything doesn't work right away, don't be disappointed. Look at the template PHP tags, and check the documentation from Wordpress site and see what they do. When you figure out their purpose you can move them to right place in the template, maybe put some HTML around them and format them with CSS to match your style. Or you may simply remove them if they are not important for your site. All in all, you need to learn some basic HTML/CSS/PHP stuff, but I can't hurt you right?
    PHP web application development: Perhosgrafiikka

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that you don't really need to have skills to use Wordpress. It's very easy to integrate it with your existing site.

You want to talk about needing skills? Take a look at Typo. That has a huge learning curve compared to Wordpress.
    TYCP Magazine
    Picspaces - image hosting with unlimited bandwidth
    Hollywood Encountered - submit your celebrity encounters