SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you copyright a paper airplane design?

I'm thinking of start a paper airplane section on my crafts website. The issue is I'm not areodynamic engineer and would use models made by someone at some point in time (recently or in the past). Can you legally put designs of paper airplanes on your website without violating any copyright laws?

I would be making the actual graphics and\or video tutorials myself and have my own unique web design with my own instructions in my own words. Any Ideas?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paper aircrafts would fall under either patents or (if it's a unique design used as a logo) trademarks. I doubt anyone would go through the trouble of patenting a paper aircraft design, but you would of course have to check to make sure.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there are recognisably unique aeroplane designs, this might be worth worrying about. I'd query where you are getting the instructions from. If you are going to use someone else's instructions, even if re-worded, it is probably best to OK it with them first. With any luck, people who design paper aeroplanes won't be too stuffy about it! If you just work from a photo and create the instructions yourself from scratch, I expect it would be reasonable to say that this was a separate work.

I don't have any first-hand experience of this, but remember a Book Illustration class where we were told the sobering tale of a knitted toy animal, bought from a jumble sale, that was used as a model for some illustrations. The lady who knitted it recognised it and sued for &#163;5000. Apparently the publishers will no longer accept illustrations that use props like this, unless they have been purpose-made, to avoid this possibility.