SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WP- multiple sections on home page - how do i set this up?

Hi guys,
    I have posted a question on this about a week ago but no replies so I think I'll have a go from a different approach!

I am using wordpress as a CMS and want to have the users be able to edit the multiple pararaphs on the home page.

The home page is seperated into different columns etc through css. the final product should look something like this:

http://taitinndesigns.com.au/schmap/...03/example.jpg

I thought I could set up the different sections as seperate posts, so that the user can jsut go into the edit posts area and only see the text for that section (not worry about messing up formatting etc etc..)

however the only way i could do that was with the plugin 'get-a-post' and it interfered with another plugin i need for elsewhere on the site so i had to unplug it.

the other idea i had was to make each different section a page and include it using php, i tried this but the include didn't do anything, but then i'm not very good at php!!!

does anyone have any ideas or pointers on the simplest way to do this?

Thanks so much. I just really need a nudge in the right direction!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure to understand. Do you want to do something like hubpages does (see an example in my sig) ?

If so I don't think it's easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hee yeah i think im a little confusing....

theres nothing in your sig by the way but i looked up hubpages and i dont think thats what i am after..

I want the person maintaining the site (my client) to be able to edit the text in three different sections on the home page. all different paragraphs and in different sections of the layout using divs etc with css.

I don't think wordpress is complex enough for me to put that css in the page mode 'code' that the user can just simple click and type in the correct area (as you would maybe in dreamweaver or something)..

i thought the best way to do this was to set each 'paragraph' or section up as an individual post and pull those into the homepage in the template. it worked at first using the plugin 'get a post' but i had to disable the post becuase it interfered with another plugin i need.

so im not sure... maybe im going about this the wrong way??

all other sections of the site are easy for the user to maintain as the text areas arent split by columns or divs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what you would want is your theme to be widgetized..usually widgets appear on the sidebars but they don't have to..you can install widgets in any part of the blog. In this case you would need to create 3 text widgets. It's not that hard.

So first off, I need to know if your WordPress theme already has widgets enabled so I know what instructions to give you next

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you not just set up a template for the homepage which would show specific posts by ID (presuming that you know which posts you want to show on the homepage)?

You could have a category specifically for this then exclude that category from wherever else you list posts on the site so that these particular posts don't appear elsewhere.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project