User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb what's the best book for me?

Hi.

I'm looking for a book to learn HTML from the begining. I want to learn every important thing about HTML. I need interesting book or website not boring! What do you recommened?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start by checking out the SitePoint HTML reference, which will give you a good and professional introduction to HTML.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Ankerstjerne View Post
    Start by checking out the SitePoint HTML reference, which will give you a good and professional introduction to HTML.
    I like the HTML reference, however it doesnt exactly teach you HTML. If you dont know HTML basics, including syntax, the refernce isnt of any use.

I learned my first stuff from www.w3schools.com . Now, a lot of people on these forums are quick to say how bad w3 schools is as it doesnt teach standards, is outdated, etc. HOWEVER, I am a firm believer that the best way to learn this is to learn the syntax and how HTML works, and then learn how CSS replaces common attributes.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCharron View Post
    HOWEVER, I am a firm believer that the best way to learn this is to learn the syntax and how HTML works, and then learn how CSS replaces common attributes.
    I disagree with the last part. Why learn bad behaviour that you will then have to unlearn?

If you learn HTML properly, i.e., is taught that it's a markup language only and that it should only be used for structure and semantics, then I think it's much easier to move on to learn CSS. If you first learn how to create crude layouts with deprecated HTML elements and attributes, then you don't only have to learn a new syntax for CSS, you'll also have to learn to think in a very different way.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so, what's the best book?

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Books depend upon you reading style but many are inaccurate with regards to HTML.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I learned with Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way Using HTML and CSS by Ian Lloyd (someone on another forum recommended it and so I got it).
    I started out vaguely knowing what HTML was and no idea of CSS. I had never coded anything before and thus had no "bad habits" to unlearn. The book starts with stuff you might be able to skip (what is HTML? How do I open Notepad?), and only gives you an XHTML doctype to get started but doesn't get into really gritty detail about what it all is. Then he proceeds to have you build one website. I got stuck a few times, but it was all invaluable.
    He does a bit of CSS but not super-deeply, just skimming over different positioning types etc. so I wouldn't even say you've got a basis in CSS but certainly a familiarity. You could then go on to another book for the CSS basis, after which you can learn anything further online. Trying to learn something online when you don't understand the whys or the language is difficult. I couldn't get much from W3schools.com, and half the examples of CSS didn't work in my browser : (

I don't work here or for anyone here so I can say I'm recommending this book as just someone who read it and benefitted from it immensley. I'm not sure some of the other people here can recommend it as it's published by Site Point so they've got some sort of interest they need to stay out of, but not me. : )

The next book I went to was HTML Utopia which is also a SitePoint book but deals pretty much with CSS and positioning. I consider that one a "basis" book... you still need to learn all the bugs and alternative clearing solutions on your own, but you'll understand what everyone's talking about then.

I've ordered another book, non-site point which I hope is more than review for me, but it's still in the mail. BulletProof Web Design by Dan Cederholm? Or Cedarquist. Someone (maybe here) recommended it.

Guru in training bronze trophy SoulScratch's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bulletproof web design is pretty old, most of the stuff you probably already know about (the font technique using keywords is far from bulletproof and uses some hack that would piss off screen reader users) .. Pro CSS Techniques ain't that bad.. but I'd go with the Ultimate Reference now.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about this book :

Can you tell me please about the best book for me? as quick as possible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be surprised if there is any one book that will give it all to youbut the SitePoint books have been really great. "Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way Using HTML and CSS by Ian Lloyd " mentioned above is great and will really get you going well.

I also learnt a lot with Rachel Andrew's book "Building Standards Compliant WEbsites with Dreamweaver 8" Not much about HTML per se but very helpful showing how the content and structure should work together.
    Ross Bartholomew
    Web Designer/Developer
    BartWebSites
    E-mail: ross@bartwebsites.com

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romuba View Post
    I will be surprised if there is any one book that will give it all to youbut the SitePoint books have been really great. "Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way Using HTML and CSS by Ian Lloyd " mentioned above is great and will really get you going well.

I also learnt a lot with Rachel Andrew's book "Building Standards Compliant WEbsites with Dreamweaver 8" Not much about HTML per se but very helpful showing how the content and structure should work together.
    thank you man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just seen this list posted called Guru Lists and is found at http://www.sitepoint.com/gurulists/ Scroll down and see So You Want To Be An HTML Guru?

There is stacks of stuff there and I suggest you bookmark the page for mach later reference.
    Ross Bartholomew
    Web Designer/Developer
    BartWebSites
    E-mail: ross@bartwebsites.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    " learned with Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way Using HTML and CSS by Ian Lloyd "

Another vote for Ian's book. I literally didn't know anythng about websites 14 months ago. I piked up this book on the advice of a friend, and 3 months later I was building my first real world site.

Its also a pretty fun read for a tech book.