User Tag List

Thread: Focusing Issues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Focusing Issues

Hi all,
    I have been having a really odd problem. I have been using the YUI library to open dialogue boxes in a web application, however the cursor has remained on the page behind the dialogue.

I have tried to move focus to a rich text box in the child page and have succeeded with the following code in IE7, however I can not get the same code to work in firefox.

Code:
                         var iframe = document.getElementsByTagName("iframe")[0];
                        if(iframe.contentWindow.document.body.createTextRange) {
                            var range = iframe.contentWindow.document.body.createTextRange();
                            range.moveStart("CHARACTER", 0);
                            range.select();
                        }
    I have had to do this as trying to set focus to normal controls in the child window does not seem to work at all.

Could please someone tell me the equivelant code that would work in firefox please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does iframe.focus() not work? Also, what controls do you have in said dialog box?

Surely YUI should have thought of something like this?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gRoberts View Post
    Does iframe.focus() not work? Also, what controls do you have in said dialog box?

Surely YUI should have thought of something like this?!
    Nope, nor does trying to set focus to any input html control either. The only controls we have in the dialogue are a couple of check boxes and a RTE (namely http://www.openwebware.com/ 's openWYSIWYG 1.0).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A cheap solution would be to un-focus (blur) the main page. Or to focus any form element in the dialog using the focus method.

Reason that the code above does not work in Firefox is due to that ranges are implemented differently. Firefox has implemented the DOM range following the W3C standards.