User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need help setting up autofeed...

Hi dear Sitepoint users,

I am interested in starting a blog of my own but due to time restrictions I will not be able to post new content daily and as I understand it, blogging is about keeping it updated daily to attract new and returning visitors.

Now, I've heard about auto feeding a blog. In essence, you choose a feed and incorporate that in your blog and content shows up every time you decide it and it's basically on 'auto-pilot'.

Like I said, I've heard about it but I have NO CLUE what so ever on how to get my blog to get that automatic feed fed.

To be clear, I do not have a blog yet as I am trying to gain as much info as I can on autofeeding to see if it's even worth starting a blog.

Additionaly, could you tell me which blogging supplier you prefer out of : Blogger/Wordpress and Drupal?

Thanks a lot for reading this and ultimately providing your own feedback and experience. It's very much appreciated!

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

blog

Hi hotuser, welcome to the forums (posting-wise),
    Unless you are talking about a splog, I think you're a bit confused. WordPress creates 2 kinds of feeds. "Posts" and "Comments". The feeds are created from your content, they don't provide the content (that's bass ackwards).

You can "post date" your blog posts however. That is, instead of "bunching" them up and having "sparse" times between them, you can space the out as to when they will "go live". For example, if you're going on vacation you can write 8 posts and date them, one for each day of the week you're gone.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mittineaque,

Thanks a lot for your reponse. I appreciate it. I have a few questions though:

What is a splog exactly?

I have seen blogs that have automated content added to their blog. Like they will put some keywords in a program and the program will search for RSS feeds with that content and add it to the blog.

I see it here on sitepoint, in the marketplace you have a lot of blogs selling where they say that the content is autofed...

So your favorite blog provider is Wordpress?

Also, how do I put a signature in my threads and posts here one sitepoint?

Thanks again for your time!

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

blog

What is a splog exactly? Well, my definition may be different from others, but roughly it means "SPAM blog". That is, not a blog where the author posts real content, but only has the blog for the purpose of gaming search engines. There are many variations on the theme, some may have some content and lots of affiliate links, some have a jumbled mix of keywords that don't make sense, others may have stolen content, scraped or RSS fed from real blogs.

IMHO if the content isn't your own, it's a splog.

Nothing says you must post every day. Some blogs I've seen post snippets of drivel daily. Others post more lengthy quality articles once a week. I guess it depends on the author's ideas, creativity and abilities, the target audience, what amount of activity is desired, etc.

And nothing says a site must be a blog. For example, Joomla lets you post in "blog fashion", but you can also use it to create pages of "article" quality without the need to do so at any determined rate.

IMHO, quality is better than quantity, but others might disagree.

I have only ever used WordPress, but I have never had any problems with it, it's highly and easily customizable, and free, so I have never tried another. But I think if you do a search in the forums you can find recommendations for other blog apps equally as positive.

You can add a signature after you log in by going to "My SitePoint" (left on the lighter blue nav bar). Then "Edit Signature". BTW, you can upload a custum avatar after 25 posts.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RSS feeds

There are two different types of feeds you can use and they are not necessarily what I'd call splogs. One is an RSS feed such as a news feed that a plugin such as KQF can handle easily. These are great to keep your blog "fresh" between real posts, they update when there is an update on the feed and give relevant off site information for readers via headlines or headline + small summary of post.

The other is a data feed for which you may have to pay for a plugin to use it. Data feeds are offered by specific affiliate programs and essentially give you a listing in xml or csv which has columns with a title, brand, price, description, image url, page url (often can be preformatted with an affiliate link or you can do a find and replace) and other fields. The plugin or store maker takes the feed listing and creates pages for you which automatically updates the blog at a set interval.

This is fairly advanced blogging as it requires you to format the feed information and get it all working together. It's not hard if you are used to the blog interface, but I'd suggest getting experience with a blog and some other plugins before attempting this.