SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find a sport that you can enjoy and want to be good at and use the gym as your training ground to prepare your body to excel at the chosen sport.

For example I play indoor beach volleyball and use the gym to lose weight so I can jump higher and weights so I can optimise the right muscles for the volleyball moves I'll need to do well during games.

The hard part is finding a sport that you want to excel at.

If you can exercise straight after work use any extra time after you've exercised as "reward" time such as playing online poker or playstation after your exercises etc.

SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been training for 11 years now and gained approximatley 45kg of muscle mass. Not quite sure what that equates to in pounds? I now weigh 110kgs and am 6 foot 2.

5-6 days a week training, 1 hour sessions, week in week out, month after month, year after year, meal after meal, protein shake after protein shake, vitamins, supplements etc etc etc.

There is no "easy" way, except to bust your ****. Stop making excuses, you cant have results without some hard work, discipline and dedication.

RJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate your input.

I think it would be better for me right now to do it during my lunch break (until I could find an activity that I enjoy doing at least). Gyms here have crappy schedules, most of them open after 9 am, so exercising before work is not an option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walk. Don't know your situation, but it's the best form of exercise . Human beings evolved to walk long distances across African plains. If it's weight you want to lose, just 20 minutes a day is enough for very significant losses. The more people walk, the more they want to. Walk to work if you can. If you can't, try walking on the treadmill at the dreaded gym. I used to walk everywhere, & was very very fit. Unfortunately, a long spell in hospital screwed all that right up for me, but I know what I *should* do ...

PS by everywhere, I mean 7 miles to dinner at someone's place and 7 miles back was not uncommon.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mPeror View Post
    Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate your input.

I think it would be better for me right now to do it during my lunch break (until I could find an activity that I enjoy doing at least). Gyms here have crappy schedules, most of them open after 9 am, so exercising before work is not an option.
    Whoa! That's ridiculous! Here they open at 5am and that's peak time!

Glad you've got something out of the thread though M. Good luck with it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found it difficult to hit the gym as well. It's difficult to say why. I usually feel great after a decent workout and don't regret going. Motivation is difficult. I find that getting a workout buddy helps immensely. I also have a treadmill at home. I put it in a room with a 65" television. That seems to help immensely.

Good luck!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What MMJ said. It's not that you can't train. You don't want to/feel you can't be bothered. Force yourself over that initial hurdle and the excercise will make you feel more energised and motivated
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've joined 3 GYMs so far and failed to frequent any of them. The longest time I've spent going to a Gym was about for 2 months, 3 times a week.

There are 4 issues that prevent me from going there frequently:
    1. 1. My day job ends at 6 pm. So if I go to the Gym, I'll have so little time to do other stuff at home.
    2. I feel mentally exhausted when I come back from work.
    3. I have my lunch at about 1:30 pm. I can't go to the Gym after 6 pm with an empty stomach, nor I can eat and exercise right away. Or can I?
    4. Exercises bore me to DEATH !! I even tried listening to music/podcasts while doing them with no luck.

Any tips that'll help me overcome these issues and start frequenting the Gym?
    Go in the morning if you're drained by the afternoon. It will give you more energy throughout the day if you work out and shower (and eat a decent breakfast) before getting to work.

Yes you have to wake up earlier for this. Suck it up, it's part of being fit.

edit: I also recommend joining a local sports league. It's fitness without the work and a good way to network and make new friends.

edit2: stay OFF treamills. Walk around your neighborhood instead or something, the stats and timer on a treadmill are the most demotivating things ever.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To get myself mentally ready to start getting healthy and working out I start to look through health magazines and see how to start slowly with getting healthy again. And the biggest motivator of all is putting on my bathing suit and looking in the mirror! That usually gets me to the gym within hours

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Any tips that'll help me overcome these issues and start frequenting the Gym?
    Buy a small bench and some free weights and exercise at home. Also, go walking or jogging for cardio exercise. Even when you walk the same streets all the time, it is much more interesting than walking on a treadmill and staring at a wall or the back of someone's head. But if you're exercising behind a nice woman wearing stretch pants, that's a different matter.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go to gym on my lunch break. Advice you to do the same

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nothing will work unless you have will to make it happen. if you excersize at home nothing will change, it will be much easier not to do the routines. You need the commitment that the gym brings. So basically just set your mind to going and forget about being tired, just do it, and in time you'll see you'll feel muuuch better and energetic.
    Hot Hot Flash Files, Gallery/Portfolios, Menus, RSS etc.
    ^ Free as well as commercial flash files.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Join a martial arts class - it works because its not boring and the workout is way better than anything you can do in the gym by yourself

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for gym music and workout music, I recommend european dance music.......

it's ALWAYS the best motivational tool for me...

.....and you don't have to tell anyone at the office if u just listen to it on the mp3 player at the gym ....

.... here's a compilation series on itunes that I recommend -- "the Euro Club hits" series:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...Club+Hits+Vol+

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to be able to go to the gym, but last year I suffered broken heels and I'm still not able to run. Hopefully within time my feel will loosen up and I'll be able to go back to running again, as it was something I really enjoyed doing.

As far as good exercise music goes, if you're inclined this way hard rock, alternative and metal always works a treat for me. Anna Molly by Incubus and Move Along by The All-American Rejects used to work extremely well for me too.

All I can say is don't take exercise lightly, because there may come a time when injury or illness could affect your ability to do either.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Broken heels? How did you do that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Play squash. The Gym can be a frekin' boring place, lift this, lift that...about as mentally stimulating as listening to gravity.

Squash will give you a workout (mostly cardiovascular) but ads a competitive element and can be very tactical once you learn the shots. Once you become addicted the motivation will take care of itself and little things like going to work and eating will sort themselves out.

I do lift weights as well, but there's no way I'd be motivated to do so if that were my only exercise. Same with jogging...there is no event or action for which you are preparing. It's all just training.

squashgame.info is a good website to get you introduced to the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously. I hate the gym. I'm quite fit (even though I'm still a porky sod, though that will change hopefully). Here's my advice:-

a) Find something you enjoy doing. I myself do professional wrestling (as in the professional style, not that I get paid for it), and from then I've started MMA & Kickboxing. I'm probably the LEAST threatening guy in the world, and most of the people I met through it are, so don't think you have to be a violent knucklehead to do combat sports, it seems to be the opposite.

b) Incorporate exercise into your day. Sod the gym off, cancel their memberships, and instead walk or run around your local neighbourhood. It's a lot more productive in my eyes. Buy a bike, buy some free weights. Heck lodge a metal bar in your doorframe and do pull ups. There's tons of ways to do exercise, but if you don't enjoy it, you'll never do it!
    I'm Rhys Wynne & I blog at Winwar Media
    WP Email Capture: Free Email/Ebook Marketing Wordpress Plugin
    UK Based SEO? Tweet Your Location to #ukseohere!
    | My Brand New Brand | Twitter |