SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy HELP !!! I can't frequent the Gym !

I've joined 3 GYMs so far and failed to frequent any of them. The longest time I've spent going to a Gym was about for 2 months, 3 times a week.

There are 4 issues that prevent me from going there frequently:
    1. 1. My day job ends at 6 pm. So if I go to the Gym, I'll have so little time to do other stuff at home.
    2. I feel mentally exhausted when I come back from work.
    3. I have my lunch at about 1:30 pm. I can't go to the Gym after 6 pm with an empty stomach, nor I can eat and exercise right away. Or can I?
    4. Exercises bore me to DEATH !! I even tried listening to music/podcasts while doing them with no luck.

Any tips that'll help me overcome these issues and start frequenting the Gym?
    Last edited by mPeror; Mar 10, 2008 at 10:47. Reason: I wrote it as GYM instead of Gym

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    get fat.....
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go twice a week, on my lunch break. I live far outside town, so going after work would mean I wouldn't be home until late at night.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ
    get fat.....
    I need to get FIT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    I go twice a week, on my lunch break. I live far outside town, so going after work would mean I wouldn't be home until late at night.
    How much time to you spend there? and do you eat before or after?

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mPeror View Post
    I need to get FIT
    Then you need to stop making excuses and get to the gym or find another physical activity that you actually enjoy doing.

After I put on some weight after my surgery in December I decided to get my *** in gear. So I work all day, go to the gym three times a week to workout with weights, run home (not literally), make dinner for my wife and baby, eat dinner, put the baby to bed, and then go to kickboxing classes three times a week.

What did I have to give up to do that? Get up and get to work an hour earlier (which I know doesn't work in your field), playing poker online between when I got home and when my wife and baby did, and PVR'ing all my favorite TV shows to save time watching them, oh and not spending my nights puttering around forums and trolling the Internet.

All in all, my life is better for the changes that I chose to implement. Sticking with it can certainly be hard though in the long run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think "Gym" is an acronym or something? Just curious why you capitalised it everywhere.

I don't go to a gym, but I have a long, healthy work too and from work every day!
    Honda Civic Forum - UK Civic Forum
    Web Host Reviews - Independent, honest host reviews
    My Portfolio - Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    Then you need to stop making excuses and get to the gym or find another physical activity that you actually enjoy doing.

After I put on some weight after my surgery in December I decided to get my *** in gear. So I work all day, go to the gym three times a week to workout with weights, run home (not literally), make dinner for my wife and baby, eat dinner, put the baby to bed, and then go to kickboxing classes three times a week.

What did I have to give up to do that? Get up and get to work an hour earlier (which I know doesn't work in your field), playing poker online between when I got home and when my wife and baby did, and PVR'ing all my favorite TV shows to save time watching them, oh and not spending my nights puttering around forums and trolling the Internet.

All in all, my life is better for the changes that I chose to implement. Sticking with it can certainly be hard though in the long run.
    But how do you motivate yourself to go there in the first place? especially in those "I don't feel like it" times, y'know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alecrust View Post
    Do you think "Gym" is an acronym or something? Just curious why you capitalised it everywhere.

I don't go to a gym, but I have a long, healthy work too and from work every day!
    lol. Sorry, I had no idea why I typed it this way.

I'm curious, what kind of workout is that?

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't neccesarily need to go to a gym - there are cheaper (but not as good) alternatives.

For example, buy weights. Go running, swimming etc. In fact apart from one-off fees for weights etc, the swimming should be the only thing you'd have to pay to do (and it's worth it). I found a few hundred situps a day work extremely well.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's motivation. When I went to a gym for a year, three years ago, I had a world-class body builder who would call me up and scream at me if I wasn't there. (Yes, I was paying him). Since I was losing excess that motivated me, but to do it now, I just get bored.

But, last week, someone asked if I wanted to fill in on their volleyball team cause someone was injured. My eyes lit up! When the coaches on my son's football team said they were having a "kids vs parents" game. I was thrilled! I would run to these activities.

But stand in front of weight machines for an hour and mindlessly push, lift and pull. Boooorrrrring!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious, what kind of workout is that?
    I don't think it is. Gets my blood pumping though!
    Honda Civic Forum - UK Civic Forum
    Web Host Reviews - Independent, honest host reviews
    My Portfolio - Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    same boat as you mPeror, i find it hard to stay motivated. it does help that the company i work for has incentives to stay fit and meet fitness goals (that we set). outside of that, i use my family as motivation, it's hard to keep up with the kids and all without staying in some kind of shape.

and, they started a racquetball league here at work that i joined, so that's more fun than just lifting weights or running. so maybe join a league of some sore, basketball, tennis, etc.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same problem finding motivation and making time to get to the gym, and sometimes think I'd be better off just going for a 1/2 hour bike ride instead of driving 15 minutes each way to the gym. I've also thought that having some gym equipment at home would be nice, and it would, but at times the gym is a nice escape when you're working at home all day long.

I agree that if you can find something to keep you fit that you really enjoy doing you'll make time for it instead of having to motivate yourself to go and get it done. Personally I love racquetball too, but there's nowhere to play in my town.

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't stand gyms. Instead I play squash, cycle and occasionally go running when it's a nice day.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    My day job ends at 6 pm. So if I go to the Gym, I'll have so little time to do other stuff at home.
    Hey Mash.
    This is BS excuse number one. You have to MAKE time. I have a day job, run a company at night, have a volunteer job and still manage to train 8 times a week. Unless you work more than 16 hours a day, there is no reason why you can't fit a workout in.

I feel mentally exhausted when I come back from work.
    So what? You don't need mental energy for the gym... If you're physically exhausted, go in the morning before work. It's more beneficial anyway as it gets your metabolism going first thing and you get those endorphins flowing - great way to start the day. It's all about mindset as well. Besides, once you get fitter, the exhaustion will lessen.

I have my lunch at about 1:30 pm. I can't go to the Gym after 6 pm with an empty stomach, nor I can eat and exercise right away. Or can I?
    I never eat before working out. It's a myth that everyone needs to. Some people do - if you're one of those, why don't you eat a banana on the way to the gym? That's all you need. It's just about raising your blood sugar so you don't faint.

Exercises bore me to DEATH !! I even tried listening to music/podcasts while doing them with no luck.
    There are two keys here. The first is to find something you like - try kickboxing... it's hard not to like! The second is to mix it up. Don't do the same thing every day. Do weights one day. Go for a run in the weekend. Box one day. You get the picture...

Above all... it's about attitude. You need to change yours!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could run to work and run home again? Maybe even buy a push bike, that's still good excercise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hawk pretty much said what I was going to say. There are so many excuses to not go to the gym, if you really want to go, just go. Sometimes after work I really don't feel like doing anything, but I will force myself to go, once I'm out the door it's all good.

If you find your workout boring you need to switch it up and find something you enjoy. I've done the kickboxing thing, haven't done that in a while but it is probably the most enjoyable one I've done. Squash is pretty good too.

You have to push yourself a little bit. You sound like you don't really want to go to the gym but somehow get fit anyway... that doesn't really work though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But how do you motivate yourself to go there in the first place? especially in those "I don't feel like it" times, y'know.
    Honestly?

I look at all the obese people around me and say to myself "I'll do whatever it takes never to end up like that. I won't set that kind of example for my child, I want him to grow up understanding the value of exercise and being in shape."

Kids are smart enough to understand when you don't practice what you preach.

So I do it partially for myself and partially for my wife and child.

And there are many many times where I don't feel like going, and sometimes I skip a few days to recharge my mental batteries, but in the end I watch my diet and make the effort and keep it up.

Self-motivation is the hardest thing for me in any endeavour, that's part of why I'm a consultant, I don't have to look for work, headhunters call me, I don't have to work crazy hard because I'm not looking to move up the corporate ladder and if things don't work out I never have to worry about being stuck in a job I hate because I can always see the light at the end of the tunnel when my contract is up and I get to move on to someplace different. Employees really have to be self-motivating to get ahead, hence why I was never a good employee.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much time to you spend there? and do you eat before or after?
    I usually do a 40-minute session on the treadmill, plus stretching and showering, which makes it about an hour.

I eat afterward. You can't eat immediately before training, because your body will be busy digesting the food. I usually have a banana or something about an hour before I go to the gym, to stave off the worst hunger.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Self-motivation is the hardest thing for me in any endeavour, that's part of why I'm a consultant, I don't have to look for work, headhunters call me, I don't have to work crazy hard because I'm not looking to move up the corporate ladder and if things don't work out I never have to worry about being stuck in a job I hate because I can always see the light at the end of the tunnel when my contract is up and I get to move on to someplace different. Employees really have to be self-motivating to get ahead, hence why I was never a good employee.
    This is going off topic now, but I think I'm headed down that exact path. I was "self-motivated" for some time working 3 years in the corporate world, but now I'm not even a year into consulting, it's much less stressful and I'm making even more money than I was before. I was amazed at the amount of headhunters that were calling, and are still calling. I'm only on my second contract now but I think I'm going to stick with this for a few years. I like being able to switch every so often. I actually hated my last contract, but it was never a big deal since I knew it would be over soon enough and I could move on. My current one is much better

Back to the original topic, the self motivation certainly applies to the gym. There was a time a few years ago where I started noticing I was getting pretty heavy and decided it needed to stop. I had never been heavy growing up and I didn't want to end up like one of the many obese people I see every day. I went a little crazy for a year, got really fit, but that was too much effort. However I still need to keep a certain fit level now. I don't want to end up out of shape. That's my motivation. I also do enjoy the gym on some level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could find a gym buddy....
    someone you never get bored with,
    and try doing it early in the morning...
    before breakfast...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't matter if it is after 6pm. It's often about 6:30 by the time I get to the gym.

Exercise can actually help you get over that feeling of mental exhaustion, even while you are doing it. It never feels good when you anticipate it, but when you are doing it it feels good.

By all means make sure you have a decent lunch. But don't worry about exercising on an empty stomach, or on a full stomach. Those are two separate myths.

If you are finding boredom to be a problem, try bringing a friend.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I find going to the gym difficult too.. though it is like about less than a minutes walk from where i live. I believe that it is boring for me to just "exercise" you know... lift weights, treadmill whatever. So I am looking at alternative gyms that include activities that I REALLY enjoy - like rock climbing. Find a rock climbing gym and climb a few walls.

Not only is that a workout, but it would give you motivation to do other forms of exercise like stamina building and weight training. Maybe you don't have a rock climbing gym in your area but you get the idea. Find an alternate form of exercise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    I found a few hundred situps a day work extremely well.
    Just don't become one of those people who do a few hundred situps and a few hundred pushups every day and call that a workout.

Short term gain, long term pain.