SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can my Google adsense pub-id on the blog be tracked?

I am helping a non-profit community blog with web stuff. They want to pay me money but I feel bad about it because it is coming straight out the pocket of the founder and he in turn doesn't get paid either. But what they need done is going to take so much time that I can't do it for free either...

The site currently doesn't have any ads so I was thinking that maybe I could place my own Google Adsense publisher ID and perhaps get paid a little bit that way.

The problem is, however, that it is very important that the blog cannot be traced back to me or anyone else in this project.

I know you can easily see the Adsense pub-id in the source code. But how useful is that really? I have two blogs in my real name using the same pub-id, but they are in a different language on a different continent, so noone reading one is likely to ever visit the other ones by chance.

Google doesn't index what's inside javascripts, I think, I searched for my pub-id and didn't find anything....

Any advice...

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it depends how determined someone was to track you down! Obviously they could match the pub-ids, so how important is very important? Is someone actively going to be looking to see if you were involved, or are you just worried that someone will make the connection? If it's the latter then it's difficult to imagine anyone would ever find out, but if, for example, someone really wanted to know who made the site, then it's feasible they could track you down. A really determined investigator could go as far as making a bot that collected pub ids from sites to try and match.
    I suppose bottom line is, if you really can't afford to be linked to this site, don't use your pub-id.
    I have to say I'm curious as to why you can't be linked with the site though!
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is, however, that it is very important that the blog cannot be traced back to me or anyone else in this project

Of course it can be traced back to you, but by who?

Ordinary people - No
    Family friends and the competition - No
    Investigators, Governement, Revenue-Tax Agencies, Police - YES

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by exodo; Mar 8, 2008 at 20:58. Reason: Removed post...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see your concerns here, and have to say I don't think I'd risk it either. Maybe when all the troubles are over the guy who you made the site for will sort you out for your hard work.
    Now, just make sure no-one can associate "exodo" with you!
    Get a Free TomTom

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately you are right about my alias, so I removed the post...

I have to say it is damn hard having to be this paranoid. I am just not the type of person who thinks "the CIA is out to get me". Yet one needs to take it seriously and this integrity issue is making even simple tasks difficult.

We need a new web host and we can't put them on my company's dedicated server because that would be easy to trace. Using a different web host, who's credit card is it going to go on? Etc.

There are all kinds of additional complications when you have to operate like this.

Yes, just helping out here for a really good cause is reward in itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a tough situation to be in. I would personally say that if you ever felt you were going to be put under any risk, then pull out completely. Some might call it cowardice but I'd call it sensible. Of course, if it's something you feel very strongly about then the risk could be justified.
    Also, you've been asked to create a site, not be a security consultant! Make the site for him, explain any issues about hosting etc., then tell him to work out a solution!
    Get a Free TomTom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with Google adsense in a non-profit website is that site visitors (those who are not tech savvy) might misinterpret certain questionable Google adsense ads as being endorsed by your organization. After all, you can't control what type of ads that would appear in your organization's site.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaeldl View Post
    The problem with Google adsense in a non-profit website is that site visitors (those who are not tech savvy) might misinterpret certain questionable Google adsense ads as being endorsed by your organization. After all, you can't control what type of ads that would appear in your organization's site.
    Not unless you used refferals, and those ads are CPA not CPC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G will know with what your pub-Id is associated with and G's terms and conditions requires that everything between you and them remains confidential and in return states information about you is not if lawfully required (not exactly in those precise words).