SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deciding on a Domain Name

I'm going to start a blog with short small business and personal success tips and I'm in a dilemma re which domain name to use. The options I'm considering are as follows;

1. fergalcrawley.com
    This is my own name.
    Concerns - the name is not memorable. I might buy some content for the blog or ask for contributions from guest bloggers, somehow this doesn't seem right if I use my own name
    Advantages - I like the idea of linking to the blog using my name in the sigs of relevant forums. It could help to get my name known in a particular niche.

2. DiscussBusiness.com
    Advantages - I think the domain name is memorable.

3. BusinessAdviceForum.com/blog
    I've started a new forum on the main domain and the blog content would be compatible with the forum content.
    Concerns - I kind of like the idea of running the blog on a separate domain as I feel it might help the blog to get more exposure and perhaps having separate domains would help cross promotion between the forum and the blog.

Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Fergal Crawley (Previous Username: Proudirish.com)
    Business Advice Forum - Webmaster and Business Forum < Get a free link & win $5,000
    Forum Coin New World Currency

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would choose second. It is really memorable

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the second one also. I agree with points about 2 domain names also

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Choosing your name could catapult you into international popularity when you do it well. Maybe you've heard of John Chow blog. How about John Cow blog.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why not BusinessAdviceBlog.com (if it's available) and then you have a sort of mini network of related sites. Could be many advantages to this.

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are pros and cons for going with your own name rather than a niche topic and vice versa

With a personal domain name you could talk about a range of topics and would be less contrained to talk about business topics. However, if the majority of your posts are business related it would make sense to get the business domain name.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DiscussBusiness.com is a good one. A little hard on the fingers, but memorable and instantly branded. Although still generic enough to develop into a lot of things. Much more professional than anything with the name BLOG in it.

Have your main page plus a tab for blog.discussbusiness.com, and forums.discussbusiness.com. Good to see that you've owned it for a while too. I think you have a lot of potential there.

Don't listen to the info about chow vs cow. Chow had a massive following behind him from over 7 years of the well established www.thetechzone.com and had been posting blogs on johnchow.com for over 5 years before he decided to monetize it. Cow put a LOT of SEO effort into his site to get where he his now, but that site will never have the kind of potential that a site like discussbusiness could have. Although you've gotta have a passion for the content, or the money to hire people who do.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    I also agree discuss business is good for memory as well as good for search engines. Follow your norms and wise promotional campaign, then it will lead to to good successful website.

Good luck
    Alley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DiscussBusiness.Com is an awesome domain name, and is definitely what I would pick. Everyone has their own opinions, but that's a pretty sweet name if you ask me!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the second one looks the perfect one, it is giving a very professional sound. The first domain can be used to enhance branding factor but for SEO i guess second is right.

SitePoint Zealot phppoddotcom77's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stand for businessdiscuss.com. It is really memorable and up to the topic.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all depends if you want to build a brand or you want a search engine optimized website. You have to weight each.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your DiscussBusiness.com domain could be good for branding and seo. Do some keyword research on:
    • Business discussion
    • Discuss small business
    • business discussion forum
    • business advice

You may find that you have the best of two worlds with that domain name.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for such helpful and positive responses. I'm delighted to hear such positive reviews for discussbusiness.com. I'm still considering my options and will make a decision soon.

armchaircritic - thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately that domain is gone.

fonzerelli_79 - great to see you again, hope all is well
    Fergal Crawley (Previous Username: Proudirish.com)
    Business Advice Forum - Webmaster and Business Forum < Get a free link & win $5,000
    Forum Coin New World Currency

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Choosing a domain name is a hard thing to do especially if you're still confuse on what do you what for your blog.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for the 2nd one. Just remember the keywords usually do people search

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i also with DiscussBusiness.com can be easily be remembered.