SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to do popups

Just thinking a little about popups and would like something that pops up and says something very friendly like "Hope you're enjoying your visit to this website - if you like what you see, please tell others about us" Or something similar, any thoughts on the wording ?

I don't really want it to be coming up too often - my thoughts were either coming up for every 20th different visitor to the site, or every 20th visit to the site.

Any thoughts welcome.

Dez.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont think you should do a pop up saying tell a friend because if its a good site there gonna tell there friend anyway also pop ups make sites look like a spam site you should just do a small image on your contact page or something saying tell a friend best of look anyway mate
    my portfolio.. www.timothyblake.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timothynblake View Post
    i dont think you should do a pop up saying tell a friend because if its a good site there gonna tell there friend anyway also pop ups make sites look like a spam site you should just do a small image on your contact page or something saying tell a friend best of look anyway mate
    Yep, that was more or less my thoughts on it Timothy. Has anyone found a professional way to do popups, or is that a contradiction ;-)

SitePoint Enthusiast Mongoose.wa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best way to do popups is to NEVER use them.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't go that far, Mongoose. Sometimes they are appropriate, such as a music site or radio station having a media player that needs to open in a new window so that the media player doesn't have to be restarted each time a page loads (of course the player shouldn't even open in the first place unless the user chooses to do so).

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought most people block them anyways. I know some still pop up but those ones are real pain.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree completely it is bad to serve pop-ups without the user's invitation to do so. That still leaves the question of the best way to do a pop-up to provide information the user wants.

Given the widespread use of pop-up blockers, one of the best ways now must be to overlay the additional content on top of your site using CSS and DOM scripting. We've recently implemented this to 'pop up' large versions of screenshots on our site, which I think is an appropriate treatment.

If you'd like to take a look, see our OpenSites Build Process page, and click on any of the screenshots. You'll find the code to do this in the integresis.js script file, starting from Line 50. You'll also want to take a look in the stylesheet for the .overlayOn / .overlayOff and .popoverOn / .popoverOff rules.
    Last edited by PaulClark; Mar 8, 2008 at 18:53.
    Paul Clark, BlueCamroo Inc
    All-in-one Online CRM, Social CRM and Project Management solution