User Tag List

Thread: online petition

Hybrid View

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to do an online petition, where visitors can sign it with their name and email address. Any ideas how to automate this? I want to end up with a large text file with all the names so I can send it out to the companies I am doing this petition against.

Should I use a guestbook script for this or something? I don't want to use any cheap freeware stuff with buttons and banners. It's meant for this website: http://www.adventuregamer.com

Oh, and also, it should be possible for people to sign it from several different pages. Other sites are interested to fight for our cause too and put up a "sign the petition" box on their site.

I could really use some suggestions here

RAGE
    SitePoint Community Guest
    build your own or hire a coder to build something specific for you ..hmm

I've never seen anything for petitions... you could always use some thing like some kind of mailing list manager from cgi-resources.com , since people who signup will have their email + name on record ...

-------------
    Vinay, coder of php/mySQL

http://www.reviewdepot.com

[This message has been edited by RAGE (edited April 03, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are just looking to post a name and email address you don't need anything fancy and there is nothing stopping you from using your own form and text file.

Just use the following code to start off your form:

<FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="http://www.yoursite.com/list.txt" ENCTYPE="text/plain">

Other sites can use this form as well and input the names and email addresses directly into your text file.

I have only one suggestion, however. If you decide to use this method, send the information over SSL and password protect the text file if you can. Nobody wants their names and/or emails visible to a possible hacker.

Hope this helps!

------------------
    Isaiah Walter
    Founder and Owner
    ------------------
    Federation Fire - Internet Solutions
    Professional Internet design for non-professional prices™

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's a good idea. Password protection is no problem, but what is SSL? Secured Server something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer and should be available for free or a small fee from your hosting company.

Basically SSL uses a 32 through 128-bit encryption key that encodes the information being sent so that it cannot be seen by those who may be watching, such as hackers, crackers, etc.

If you plan on gathering information from people it is always a good idea to use SSL to make them feel safe and that you care for their security and safety.

Now, I don't know all the in-depth details of SSL, just the basic concept of how it works and how to put it to use. If you want more information, a good place to start is either Email your hosting company or visit www.verisign.com which is a company that provides SSL certificates.

Hope This Helps!

------------------
    Isaiah Walter
    Founder and Owner
    ------------------
    Federation Fire - Internet Solutions
    Professional Internet design for non-professional prices™

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)