SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Jason
    SitePoint Community Guest

How to Sell Content in a Free-Content World

Notice: This is a discussion thread for comments about the SitePoint article, How to Sell Content in a Free-Content World.

Great post. We have just "niched" down our content offerings and it has made live easier.

Easier to find our marketrplace and easy to sell as we are unique in our field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the first point very strongly, you need to be an expert to sell your content.

No one wants to buy a blurb from someone who is not even remotely recognized in their niche.

SitePoint Enthusiast Mongoose.wa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good tips. It's all about pitching your article idea(s) the right way to the right people.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Notice: This is a discussion thread for comments about the SitePoint article, How to Sell Content in a Free-Content World.

Nice summary of the things I tell my clients especially the part about Being an Expert instead of a (crappy stuck in the 90s) salesman (that makes text sites with lots of bold all cap words with yellow backgrounds and a link to "Buy it now" with exclamation marks instead of periods). Here is a good example of one of those sites: http://theverticalproject.com/

Presentation is the key is the another good point. A lot people say "why should I pay to have somebody customize" my mini-sites when I can register and maintain them for free. That's because your free basketball site looks like this (http://nbaplayer.ning.com/) while your competitors free basketball sites looks this (http://ilovethisgame.ning.com)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TYPELiFE View Post
    I agree with the first point very strongly, you need to be an expert to sell your content
    Why not do what many of them do, and simply 'claim' to be an expert.

In today world of BS, everybody thinks they are an expert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This seems to be another one of those blurry issues that crop up here from time to time. The article appears to be about copywriting .. albeit for subscription websites .. and a howto .. and a business stategy.

Yeah, I know, copywriting is content, but so are images .. and forum posts .. and ..

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two other main factors that make content attractive to a paid audience:

1. Targeting questions and problems that are URGENT and that fill a hot emotional desire. When you combine something you want very badly with someone who appears to have the answer you have a strong selling proposition. This means being able to identify highly emotional desires and demand online...something that is a bit of an artform but can be done fairly simply easily online.

2. Have an "applied" take on your content. What I mean is that if you can provide "inside" knowledge on a topic (even if you are not an expert) that is valuable to people. If you have traveled to a remote island, then your information based on experience is invaluable to someone who is considering a visit. If you have tried a new software application and write about your experience, then you're information is highly valuable to someone who is considering buying and learning this software. Being a "do'er" in your marketplace is a great way to produce an ongoing flow of valuable, paid content.

When we help turn someone's knowledge into paid content we often look for those advantage areas where they have practical experience or can tap into someone else's practical experience through interviews, case studies or profiles.

Whether this information gets packaged in an infoproduct (ebook, book, report, course, etc...) or as online content in membership site, paid newsletter, etc...the formula remains the same.

Jeff
    Jeff Smith
    "How To Create and Market Your Own Products Online"
    http://www.infoproductcreator.com
    Free 7-Part E-Seminar on Infoproduct Profit Generation Tips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good read, very informative. Thanks for sharing...

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KM Richards View Post
    Why not do what many of them do, and simply 'claim' to be an expert.

In today world of BS, everybody thinks they are an expert

This may be a difficult task to accomplish as many people who claim to be an expert on a certain subject usually write very good articles on that subject.

If the content is clear, concise, and well written people will pay for it.