SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freelance business license? Should I go official?

I do freelance webdesign and hosting in my spare time. I was curious if I should get a business license to go along with my work.

Are their any real benefits to getting a license?
    How about legal obligations? Where does freelance webdesign stand and so on.
    Do you have a business license?

I would understand if/when my business gets larger but i'm pulling small amounts for the most art. This month I made about $3,000 from my freelance work. (2k of it was from digg and single flash file. Crazy.) Anways, what is your opinion on the whole going official bit

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnb View Post
    I do freelance webdesign and hosting in my spare time. I was curious if I should get a business license to go along with my work.

Are their any real benefits to getting a license?
    How about legal obligations? Where does freelance webdesign stand and so on.
    Do you have a business license?

I would understand if/when my business gets larger but i'm pulling small amounts for the most art. This month I made about $3,000 from my freelance work. (2k of it was from digg and single flash file. Crazy.) Anways, what is your opinion on the whole going official bit
    IANAL(or accountant)
    It depends on your local/state laws. In Virginia, it's not necessary, but of course, you report your income. Sales tax isnt collected here for it either, since nothing is tangible. Check with your county/city/state and see if it is required, or if you get any benefits from it.

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It definitely depends on what country/state/city you're in. If there's a requirement that ANY business have a license then get one. If not, then I definitely would NOT until some government entity told you to get one or a client balked at using you because you didn't have one.

I've operated for over 20 years in Georgia without any license whatsoever, although my business is a registered corporation.

If you feel like you have any liability issues, I'd recommend creating an LLC for your business. If not, then don't bother and keep going the way you're going. You'll know when it's time to do something different.
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!