SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Revenue Sharing Social Networking Site

Hi, Ive posted here before and got some great suggestions. I went back and made changes to my site accordingly.

The biggest change is the revenue sharing feature. Users now share in the revenue produced by the ads within their profile page.

Please review Friendtrain.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tacky ads are a HUGE turn-off. Why don't you forget ads until the site gets busy?

You have quite a good name there, do you also have friendstrain.com? This name might get looked up in mistake for yours when passed on by word of mouth.

It's a social networking site, how is it different to the million others?
    Charles Sweeney
    FormToEmail.com

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree - the top ad takes more prominence than the title of the site.

It's not all that clear how it works. How do I earn money? Why are there loads of posts by the same people?

In these days of broadband everywhere, it might not matter much, but your profile thumbnails haven't been resized, but are big huge photos resized via the height / width attributes in the HTML. So this image for example (1200 * 1600 pixels) takes a while to download. Might be worth trying to make your profile thumbnails smaller...

But sorry for sounding negative. It must have taken a lot of work. I still haven't learnt anything about ASP.NET...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would consider relacing the google adsense ad at the very top with a well designed header and logo. You could also, just create a cool graphic header and logo and keep "friendtrain". I would, however, experiment with differrent font fot the site title.

SitePoint Enthusiast InfodoroShopping's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is good, and I like the concept...But you need more traffic to get it going...

I would suggest you to re-work on your Logo and Graphics.. And since you have the header 'Posts', let no. of posts show against a User's profile...

Lastly, "What's this all about" is good for introduction but make it more prominent by putting it within a callout box and working on Colors and background, so that it does get noticed by any new visitor on your website.

Thanx-
    INFODORO
    Express, Share & Manage Your Information

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to ditch the ad's or at least place them in a cleaner way. The concept is decent, but you need to expand upon the profile options.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich(eLief.com) View Post
    The concept is decent
    It is a decent concept, but hardly original. I could imagine a bunch of teens signing up and encouraging their friends to click on ads so they could make money. Huge potential for click fraud on this site.

As for the design, it need MORE COLOR! More more more more more more more more. It's as bland as bland can be. The overall layout is fine, but it needs more color.

Also, I'd get rid of the striped header. That irritates my eyes. No joke, I'm starting to get a headache just from looking at it for a few seconds.

The "posts" and "archive" buttons at the top would look better with graphics to give them a rounded look.

My eyes hurt from that header. No joke.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many ADs in your homepage, I think less AD is better for new webiste! I think the color don't match your website

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest to work on design and logo. And add some colors to your layout. Remove ad from the top. Get your header higher.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never will understand the wave of collective unconcious decisions on what is the 'cool' and 'in' networking site. It seemed like myspace was the king, then facebook came out of nowhere and was the big thing

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for some reason the 'shared revenue' doesn't seem to excite people. Maybe have a random winner of ALL the revenue... or split it up among ten people each month. Then it won't be pocket change, it'll be the lottery, which people love to play

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would create a logo for yourself and make the site title bolder. The way it is it really doesn't stand out at all.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello river,

I do not think that your ads is too many, only 3 place for ads Site look good. May be is good idea to have unique logo. I have only one note for you.
    You have a problem with mozilla rendering. Here
    http://www.friendtrain.com/ViewProfile.aspx?id=199
    I see right part of "past posts" under right column.

Good luck
    How to boost your site trafic ?
    Page rss reader - forex charts -

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks River, the rendering problem has been fixed.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site lacks personality and loads slowly. The banner needs work too.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad design.. I am using firefox 3 .. most of ur elements are not properly aligned.. especially ur login buttons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is good although I am not a big fan of aspx, i am a fan of php.

I do not like at all the ad on the top of the page, I think you should find a more suitable place for it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    personally the site took a while to load and made me want to leave, but i stayed because i wanted to check it out more.. the what's this all about section should be removed and maybe just have a call to action graphic saying "What is this". A paragraph of text or content that may take over a minute to read for some people usually turns users off. I like sites similar to partyaftermath.com and facebook.com where you're not bombarded with advertisements at the beginning. Seems like there are too many ads.
    Will Webb
    www.InnateMediaGroup.com
    Innovations In Real Time
    Professional Web Development