User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

putting mysql databases on webserver

Hi, I am trying to create a MySQL table and make it accessable using a php script on my webhost. The part i am stuck with is how do i get a database actually up there, i checked and they are indeed running mysql server but there is no way for me to access it through a shell. Sooooooo I was wondering if its possible to create a mysql database locally on my machine and then FTP it over to the webserver. Would this work? Any help greatly appricated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted a message yesterday about database design. The originalH answered and suggested I try phpmyadmin. http://www.phpwizard.net/projects/phpMyAdmin/

This looks like a great program for using with MySQl.

Also you should check out Kevin yanks book "Build your own database driven website". It will answer most of your questions. The first 4 chapters are available for download from the sitepoint website.

Hope this helps

Qd

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep indeedy, many hosts will actually have phpMyAdmin pre-installed for you. The articles mentioned by QD will also help you configure locally so you can monkey about and get everything working before going "live" on your server.

If you decide to go the local route, make sure you set up a mySql user account with details to match your hosted account (username and password) as this will mean you don't have to mess scripts when ready to upload.

You can use either the shell or phpMyAdmin to upload a schema with or without data that you've created locally.

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS