SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My PR recently increased but I doubt if there is much change to the traffic. It is true that PR can move up and down and it can be quite a chore checking the latest updates but so long as we continue with quality content and let it run its own course, it should be ok.
    Interesting Soccer Analysis on SoccerNet Live

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, yes.. the PR of a blog/site can move up and down..

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys,
    Why are we all obsessed with PR - do your visitors become less if your PR goes down or up! Ultimately what matters is your Content and the people who read it !
    When was the last time you went to a Site purely because it is PR 9 ?

This Page Rank thing is so over-rated & we spend lots of time discussing it!
    Thank you!

Finally, an intelligent post on the subject of this ridiculous PR and seo. Many call themselves experts or gurus, and they aren't even on page one, or, page two of the engines.

What does ultimately matter is the advertising, word of mouth, along with the site's content and the people who read it.

But take out the "we." There are a few of us smart ones left who are not obsessed with it.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Discussion != Obsession
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your content would have something to do with the number of quality backlinks your site has - some sites might be linking to you due to the content that you provide. If you don't update on your content, these sites mgiht remove your links. For me, there is a indirect co-relation of updated content and your PR.
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PR changes are also due to search engine algorithm changes, not only to optimization and promotion activity. Your PR could drop despite of your continuous efforts if the search engine no longer values the type of backlinks you get.
    Free Dating Scripts - with php source code

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DatingScripts View Post
    PR changes are also due to search engine algorithm changes, not only to optimization and promotion activity. Your PR could drop despite of your continuous efforts if the search engine no longer values the type of backlinks you get.
    PR is only based n link popularity. The type of link is irrelevant. The only way an algorithm changes would be in the entire PR formula changes (not likely).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and by the way. If a site has PR I tend to look at it more in favor then if it is PR 0. Now if a PR 5 site and a PR 0 site are competitors but I like the PR 0 site better then I will use that however the PR 5 site would look better at the beginning.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnST View Post
    My PR recently increased but I doubt if there is much change to the traffic. It is true that PR can move up and down and it can be quite a chore checking the latest updates but so long as we continue with quality content and let it run its own course, it should be ok.
    The way I see it there are two things to look at. One is Internal PR (or you might call it something else), which gets updated regulary as google crawls the site. This decides your position in search results. Another is External PR, which is seen in toolbar. Now, once every few months Google updates the External PR. That's when people see dip or rise in their PR. However Your search engine ranking (and inturn traffic) gets updated regularly.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abhig View Post
    The way I see it there are two things to look at. One is Internal PR (or you might call it something else), which gets updated regulary as google crawls the site. This decides your position in search results.
    PR is just one factor among many that determine your position. You probably meant that, but what you wrote implies that PR is the only factor in ranking. Wouldn't want people to get the wrong idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your PR depends upon engine how much it is intelligent.

"It is possible to fail in many ways ... while to succeed is only possible only in one way Atistotle"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by impunjabians View Post
    your PR depends upon engine how much it is intelligent.
    Um, no it doesn't. PR is a published formula and quantifies link popularity. It's not difficult to calculate (if you have a massive server farm...).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not just the back links that give you the PR. Its the content as well. I know many sites that have a lower PR on their links page than on their other subpages that have higher PR even though they are both one click away from the home page.
    Last edited by stymiee; Mar 5, 2008 at 21:51. Reason: links removed please use your signature

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes of course there is a chance for the page rank to fall down. But this won't happen as soon as you stop SEO. Once the IBL quality declines this can happen anytime. It can come from 7 to 1 or worse 0.
    Earn from home $5000 to $10,000 a week

Make fast millions from home click here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    Its not just the back links that give you the PR. Its the content as well. I know many sites that have a lower PR on their links page than on their other subpages that have higher PR even though they are both one click away from the home page.
    The fact that you've seen a site with this PR distribution shows nothing - what about other incoming links to the sub-pages, not from the homepage?!

For the nth time in this thread, PR is based solely on incoming links. This isn't an opinion, it's not an educated guess, it's not based on personal experience, it is based on the published paper by Larry Page and Sergey Brin in which they explicitly state the formula used to calculate PageRank.

Please please follow this link and read the paper.

Off Topic:

Links go in your signature mate!
    Get a Free TomTom

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalreturns View Post
    The fact that you've seen a site with this PR distribution shows nothing - what about other incoming links to the sub-pages, not from the homepage?!

For the nth time in this thread, PR is based solely on incoming links. This isn't an opinion, it's not an educated guess, it's not based on personal experience, it is based on the published paper by Larry Page and Sergey Brin in which they explicitly state the formula used to calculate PageRank.

Off Topic:

Now you know why participating the SEO forums get frustrating after 5 years

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssandecki View Post
    Pagerank is dependant on your backlinks, as long as your building backlinks and not losing your "quality" backlinks that are providing the most so called PR juice you shouldn't worry to much about it.
    Jz a funny question, if all adult, banned site linked to google, will Google's PR will drop?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weilies View Post
    Jz a funny question, if all adult, banned site linked to google, will Google's PR will drop?
    No - for details refer to content of thread.
    Get a Free TomTom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Off Topic:

Now you know why participating the SEO forums get frustrating after 5 years
    Off Topic:

I just need to keep myself away from any threads where PR is mentioned and I might just stay sane!
    Get a Free TomTom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weilies View Post
    That is very unlikely to happen, lols
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalreturns View Post

Off Topic:

Links go in your signature mate!
    Does anybody know when was this published? I can't seem to find it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    April 1998.
    Get a Free TomTom

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PR isn't as important as one might think, I have a PR5 site that ranks #3 for "web design leicester" ...

I now work for a company with PR6 (and about 50,000 more links than me) yet I out rank it across the board, usually by a sizable margin.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devolved View Post
    PR isn't as important as one might think, I have a PR5 site that ranks #3 for "web design leicester" ...

I now work for a company with PR6 (and about 50,000 more links than me) yet I out rank it across the board, usually by a sizable margin.
    That's because PR is not the only factor in ranking pages. It's all about relevance.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exactly, devolved. Yet another reason why I don't pay this seo much mind. I've also seen sites with not much going for them in the way of seo, but they are ranked high. Every now and then I'll get an e-mail from some so-called "guru" or "seo tech" lol on how he can get my site ranked high. But his site(s) isn't even ranked high! In fact, they don't even get that many monthly hits! And they are already established out there. That's some funny stuff right there.