SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Client wants a copy of another site.

So I had someone approach me about making a website for their business. I said okay and started on it. Shortly after getting an initial design going I come to find out she just wants almost an exactly copy of another site except with her logo and name. She also sent me some images that I don't think she has the rights to use. What is the best way of dealing with this type of client? (She's already given me a deposit on the site)

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I would do:
    1) Inform her directly about the copyright infringement she would be performing if she went ahead and did this.
    2) In your contract, specify that all rights and responsibility for any of the content go directly to her.

That is what I would do at least. That way she is informed, and will hopefully change her mind on the idea. And, just in case she doesn't, your contract explicitly states that all of the responsibility for anything that is infringed on goes to her so you aren't responsible.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This will be an interesting thread to follow.
    I usually tell clients I have no problem making a new design that is "inspired by" another site. And usually, I ask for more than one inspiration. I sort of think of it as being a writer. If you are gaining inspiration from multiple sources, and not directly copying their work, it is probably actually a good practice that many successful designers follow. But direct copying is a big "no no".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Etgen View Post
    So I had someone approach me about making a website for their business. I said okay and started on it. Shortly after getting an initial design going I come to find out she just wants almost an exactly copy of another site except with her logo and name. She also sent me some images that I don't think she has the rights to use. What is the best way of dealing with this type of client? (She's already given me a deposit on the site)
    Definitely and clearly inform her that that isn't cool, and is likely to get her (and you) in trouble (but not in those words )

If she insists, suggest like dvduval, an "inspired" site, and propose a slightly different design. After all, there are only so many possible formats, so it's not uncommon to find sites that look similar.

And if she insists further, refuse and be prepared to return the deposit. But that's the absolute worst case scenario.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have to live in the real world and a lot of clients come asking for clones of this and that site. dvduval has already taken the words out of my mouth in as much as I say "We can use that site to give us guidance as to what you want the site to look like; but we can't copy it because that would be theft and totally unprofessional" I find that those words go down really well with most clients especially if you can pick a few holes in the site they have in mind and say "We can make a far better job of this for a start". When it comes to the images I would want it in writing that she has copyright to the images supplied or I wouldn't be prepared to use them. But it already states that in the contract that I use.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We run into this occasionally. Usually, a simple chat with the client about copyright laws is enough to convince them to create something unique.

If they absolutely insist on copying someone else's work, I'd drop the project. Even if your contract states that the customer accepts all copyright liability, I think you'd still be putting yourself in a serious liability if you knowingly ripped someone else's design.
    Now Hiring
    Looking for (x)html coder/ php programmer/
    WordPress expert for project work. PM me with
    your rates and work samples if you're interested.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Dvduval. Ask her for mutiple sites and what she likes so you can make one with some of each to please her.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I let her know that we should do our own thing since someone else has already come up with that design. She said she just means those as ideas and wants me to come up with stuff (even though what she's said before seemed more like a do this and this list). The images are from Microsoft clip art.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, what she said is exactly what I like to hear from clients. I want to know what they like. That way I am more likely to produce something that is close to what they are looking for. It sounds like things are going good now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
    Actually, what she said is exactly what I like to hear from clients. I want to know what they like. That way I am more likely to produce something that is close to what they are looking for. It sounds like things are going good now.
    I totally agree ... we always try to get a list of sites that the client likes (and a list that they dislike) before starting on a new site. It helps us to understand their expectations.
    Now Hiring
    Looking for (x)html coder/ php programmer/
    WordPress expert for project work. PM me with
    your rates and work samples if you're interested.

SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Etgen View Post
    I said okay and started on it. Shortly after getting an initial design going I come to find out she just wants
    Sounds to me like you failed to address her requirements from the start. Big oops!

RJ

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramone_johnny View Post
    Sounds to me like you failed to address her requirements from the start. Big oops!

RJ
    Actually she started with a few different sites that she liked and we took a few ideas from each. I just glossed over that part because the last contact I had with her was her telling me to do things to make it to look exactly like 1 of the sites she picked. Once I asked about it we cleared everything up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramone_johnny View Post

RJ
    Nice positive input. You're on a roll
    ride it like it's stolen

SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raymo View Post
    Nice positive input. You're on a roll
    On ya bike mate.

RJ