SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

phpFoX - What's the real deal?

Greetings.

I've become seriously wary of what I've heard about the phpFoX social networking script/platform. I've probably looked at every thread about it here on these forums and have also looked at the possibility of purchasing other scripts -- including the ones which are supposedly free (albeit lacking in features).

I've seen things like:

- "This is the worst script, stay away from it".
    - "phpFoX is great! Their support is absolutely excellent!"
    - "Nobody had replied to my support email for days, and when they did, they didn't even answer my questions"
    - "It's buggy, full of security holes and customizing templates is a nightmare".
    - "The best social networking script!"

I've read their web site and it states:
    If you're not completely happy, rely on our 30 day money back guarantee!
    but upon further investigation, it also says later:
    All refunds are subject to our standard refunds policy, below.
    <snip>
    We review all refund requests on a case-by-case basis and reserve the right to decline any refund for any reason (e.g. you have already downloaded the software).
    So this doesn't really sound like any guarantee at all. It actually sounds more like a "if you accidentially entered your credit card number and expiry date into the boxes (unrealistic) and/or the sale was fraudulent, we'll be forced by the credit card company to make a charge-back to your card".

Several things, not only what I wrote above, worry me about purchasing this script and pretty much leave me exactly where I started while searching for a suitable software solution -- I just have too much on my plate atm to code my own

Would any established sitepoint member be able to give me their opinion on this? I'm hoping the text on their site would be precautionary.. but there's too many contradictions about this software for me to be able to make a decision without some expertise input.

Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the script on my website, have been using it for 2 months... one thing is for sure.. few main things that are required to run a successful website today are missing from phpfox, namely:

1) Not search engine friendly.
    2) Very unsecure, can be hacked easily...
    3) Supid bugs in the script that will drive you crazy (drive away newbies from your site)
    4) Impossible to make it stand out from other phpfox sites... a designer/coder working for phpfox asked for $300 just to change the front page, thats the price of the script!

Support is JUST OKIE! Has some nonsense features like battling of two images, sending anonymous crushes etc. Website will snail after few hundred members.

Good thing about the script: It's still better than all the other scripts out there.

They will release version 2.0 in the coming month, i suggest you wait, they will certainly get better with time but if you want to get in some kind of nitch, don't consider patience a virtue, hop in!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your review, zaddy. "$300 just to change the front page" is something I wouldn't be willing to put up with.

So are you saying it's basically impossible to customize this script? That's a very detracting point.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interested to find this thread - because I was contemplating buying phpfox......semmed very search engine friendly (based on the sites that I saw using it)

Now I think I will hang back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is it not search engine friendly?

Can it be improved?

I'm intersted in phpfox as well... Anymore comments on it?

Thanks,
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rosem
    How is it not search engine friendly?

Can it be improved?

I'm intersted in phpfox as well... Anymore comments on it?

Thanks,
    Mike
    phpfox demo url:

Code:
    http://www.phpfoxdemo.com/blog/view/?ID=72
    ^^ That is not a search engine friendly url.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The urls' don't seem to be that bad - google picks a few up on the demo site- http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...phpfoxdemo.com

However the title tag could do with some work to make pages more logical. For $300 I would expect this to be a lit better.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purchased and installed the package recently. Make sure your hosting service has all of the required packages...specifically Zend Optimizer. Otherwise, the scripts will not work.

I can't speak on the peformance because I'm still a newbie with it. As far as the customization, it shouldn't be too difficult given it's PHP. It will take time. So if your project is worth the effort then go for it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like this will be coming out with a stable version sometime in aug. http://ww2.phpizabi.net/

Might be worth waiting till then. Seems that there are a lot of problems with the 300 script from phpfox.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the know hacks to PHPFox published anywhere?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone have new opinions on phpfox? they've had a while now to clean it up, any better? worse?

I need a good script like phpfox...any other recommendations.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone tried just downloading the NING.com social networking script? They claimed to let you download it and host on your own after you set it up on their system.
    dropHunt.com - Expired Domain Search Engine
    - search for expired and expiring domains
    by Alexa ranking, PageRank, backlinks, and more

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No pre-sales support at all. Every time you ask them a question they throw up a $600 fee for custom development, lol. The folks on the phone are just telemarketers. As I understand it, their recent releases have been fairly weak as well. The whole thing just gives me a bad vibe, so I passed on them early on.